Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Career Advice: Please show me some light !

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrD33P

Civil/Environmental
Feb 25, 2015
DE
hello folks,
I am 22, a guy from India. My parents forced me to opt for Civil Engineering after my school just because they saw people getting paid huge sum of money in Construction. I wanted to join some animation college after that or if it had to be engineering it would be Computer science or EE.
I pleaded them to not to do that with me but nobody listened. and then everything degraded.. me, my health, my grades thats just different story.

So the situation now is, I failed in my four years degree. I am fine with some softwares like AutoCAD, Revit, unless there is something which involves some deep civil engineering. Now I wanted to know if I can change my stream, can I join or study somewhere in animation sector without feeling like I have wasted 5 or 6 years. I mean where my civil engineering degree will also be considered as a plus point.

Please help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well at the grand old age of 22 in western cultures /you/ are considered an adult, and are responsible for /your/ life choices. I realise that Little Maharajahs may find that a shocking concept, so I'll pretend you are a 16 year old asking the question. So you've spent 4 years studying engineering, and along the way the most worthwhile bit you got was with the CAD software. You need to think of a way of taking that skill, and apply it towards your desired goal (animation, whatever that is).

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

You have not completely wasted your education to date. In the US, you can readily change college majors, careers, especially since you are only 22! Surely, you passed many of your courses related or unrelated to Civil Engineering and can use them to your advantage in pursuit of other work endeavors. College education needed may only be 2 more years.

@GregLocock Yes I am 22 but I was 17 when I passed my Senior Secondary Education before Engineering,and even at that time I was responsible for my life/choices I would make but I had no money except that of my parents', they strictly told me that only thing I can do with their money was ENGINEERING so it was good for me to do something than doing nothing.
And till date I find out that the things I learnt in Engineering softwares (CAD, Staad etc) was too much detailed and precise. that is of no use in the field of Animation Gaming multimedia.

@weldstan ... yes you are right about it in US but I am in India. I just want to know things of my interest which may not be in my mind, because there are a lot of things which I might not know but they exist, in that case only you people will be helpful.

What exactly is stopping you? You've clearly demonstrated that you are willing to fail in something you don't care about. What you did before, whatever you've invested in time and money, is irrelevant to your choice now. An attempt to make your sunk costs relevant is liable to put you in something else you don't care about. Do some degree, you've indeed wasted 4 yrs, since you didn't get a degree, but you have gained some knowledge, hopefully, and have decent math skills, hopefully, which can provide a large backdrop to any programming environment you choose to go into.

Don't delude yourself into thinking that there is a clear path from age 22 to retirement; there isn't. I got a degree in EE, and haven't done any real EE about 1994, but no college knowledge is completely wasted. There are, and should, be no regrets; life is about the journey. If you really like what you're doing and can make living, you're by definition successful.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
There is a homework forum hosted by engineering.com:

"Now I wanted to know if I can change my stream, can I join or study somewhere in animation sector without feeling like I have wasted 5 or 6 years."

Not meaning to be unhelpfully but that is really a question for 'animator-tips.com'. Not sure anyone on here will be too knowledgeable about how to break into the field you are interested in.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

I know nothing about India's legal system, but here in the USA some pretty serious money is spent on courtroom animations, and at least a few people are making a living at it.

How many automations or walk-throughs have you done?
Can you assemble a portfolio that might impress a lawyer?

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

It may well be more difficult to change your career possibilities in India. Try finding suitable work by relocating to another country, if possible. Or the entertainment industry in India.
Research opportunities through the Internet.

Perhaps a job using solidworks at a manufacturing company. Lots of 3D drafting, motion studies, and photorealistic rendering involved there.

Maine Professional and Structural Engineer.
(Just passed the 16-hour SE exam, woohoo!)

I have a cousin who has genuine motion picture animation cred. He'll be the first to tell you there is a whole wide world of craptastic jobs to be had in animation and gaming. Fun hobbies don't always translate into satisfying careers (at least without much hustle and suffering).

So: now that you have proven to your parents that you failed at what they were willing to pay to educate you to do, are they now willing and able to pay MORE to get you educated in what you want to do?

If not, it's a moot point- you need to work, earn money, and then figure out what you want to study and study that.

you might be able to have your cake and eat it too. You could animate building projects. One possibility is related to real estate sales; higher end condos/houses/apts find value in being able to have the rich / corrupt foreign client walk thru the overpriced NY city apartment from their secluded hideout in Moscow/Bogata. Talk to a high end real estate agent. Currently they use 3D laser-based holographic displays, but there can be room to use CAD-based 3D walk-throughs.

Or apply the same technology to the latest bloody killer games- improve the details of the room by room slaughter.

"Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad "

Do what you motivates you to get out of bed, with a smile on your face, each day. Better to waste a few years rather than a lifetime. If you do not know what truly motivates you to get out of bed each morning, you have work to determine that first.

All the best!

Pamela K. Quillin, P.E.
Quillin Engineering, LLC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back