Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Career Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

steeler10

Petroleum
Aug 5, 2013
US
Hi,

I am currently a senior in my undergraduate civil engineering program with goals to pursue a career in the petroleum industry. As of now my plans are to apply to grad school to get a masters in the petroleum engineering. However I have been looking into maybe getting a job in the industry to work for a little bit to try and avoid taking out a loan. The question for me is where to start looking. I've read many articles taking about how companies are basically enlisting engineers of all disciplines to work in the industry. Despite all this talk, almost all the jobs I find are looking for employees for with experience or an actual degree in petro-area related fields. Are there certain words or job titles I can search or does anyone know any oil companies that are specifically looking for civil engineers to work in the industry?

Thanks,
Dan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Steeler10,
Please forward your resumes to Company HRs, Indicating Job objective as "Engineering Trainee". I worked in couple of companies, they are promoting Trainees.
Wish you good luck.

Dan,

As an engineer, the two types of companies in the upstream oil industry that you'll work for are operators and service companies. There are other jobs, but 95% of the time it will be one of these. Operators usually explore, drill, and produce. They reap the rewards of the production, but they also foot the bill. Service companies are hired to do the actual on site work. Ex: Exxon/Conoco/BP finds where they want to drill, makes a plan, and hires Halliburton/Schlumberger/H&P to bring their equipment and do the work. Generally speaking, operators mainly look to hire only Petroleum engineers out of college (especially now since there are so many going through the PE program these days). They do hire Chem E and Mech E, but not nearly as often. I'm not sure I've heard of civil or industrial engineers being targeted on the operations side. The service side however will take most people who have graduated with an engineering degree. They have extensive field training programs that teach you everything you need to know in order to do the work.. they're just looking for the merit that comes with an engineering degree. Service companies are also the primary research and development for new technology (since their goal is to sell their services). R&D departments hire many different engineers (but mainly mechanical and chemical).

If I were you, I'd look into the midstream section of the oil industry. I imagine a civil engineer would come in handy for pipeline and refining operations. They definitely have internships, but I'm not sure how many temp jobs they offer. If you have any connections in the business, you might see if they can get you in contact with these companies and see if you could work out a co-op type gig.

I hope this helps,
Harrison

I went through my Career Planning and Placement during college and landed summer jobs at Mobil (late 80s). I am an ME and wanted to design tools so I ended up at a Service Company. I would try to get on as a roughneck. Most valuable experience you will get and you only have one shot at it before you become a suit. Also, Service companies always hiring interns to detail drawings and help out in lab. If you can't find a job you need to try harder and expand your search area to all oilfield related activities

I would work for an operator over a Service Company. The relationship is a one-way street with operators generally treating Service people with contempt becasue they pay and can. I lost job because an arrogant operator crossed my lineand I new I was going to get fired but did not care. Don't see too many folks like that arounf anymore.

Having said that, there are all types but working for an Operator pays better and offers more benefits. If you want to design tools, earn patents, work with Solid Modeling and FEA/CFD, test and leave a legacy behind go work as a design engineer for a Service company. Hours are better and stress can be les

Good Luck. C
choosing your career is the most important decision in your like besides your bride. Getting that right is harder.

- CJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back