Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Career change - aerospace to structural?

Status
Not open for further replies.

m1esk

Aerospace
Apr 6, 2011
I'm an aerospace stress engineer in my early career and I wonder how much in common (or difference), in terms of analysis, is there between aerospace structures and civil structures?

The principal materials would be an obvious one (Al, Ti, CFRP vs steel, concrete, timber etc).

Any advice please?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you looking to change fields? If so it should be too difficult. Obviously, a bridge and a building are not the same as a plane but the analysis principles are the same. Last time I checked f was still P/A. I think if you understand how loads and what loads are applied to and carried by the structure you can make the change. I worked with a mechanical engineer who did bridge design.

When I was a student looking for a job Grumman, Fairchild, and other aircraft companies would interview those of us with civil degrees. At that time, Grumman and Fairchild still had plants on Long Island. I went for a second interview with Fairchild at their plant, I thought I was walking into a prison given the level of security. I'm glad I didn't get the job.

As long as you are willing to start at the bottom of the pay scale, I don't think that there would be a big problem. Also, be prepared to take the FE and PE (SE), as these are almost always required for Civil Structurals.

Sorry to be brutal, but as someone who has a small voice in hiring decisions, I would be reticent about hiring someone without any training in structural engineering. While many of the principals are the same, there's a lot of loadings and analysis that are unique.
Let's face it, in this hiring environment, you put out an ad, you get 50 qualified applicants. Why would I take a chance on someone who would need me to hover over him from day one? It's hard enough to train someone who's fresh out of school.
If you're serious, take some coursework. A few basic courses in concrete, steel, and structural analysis would do wonders.

If I had a chance - I might go the other way - I love airplanes.

But I ended up in Structural - which I really love.

I do remember interviewing for a job with the old McDonnell-Douglas (now Boeing) company. Got an offer.

BUT couldn't find my way out of the cubicle maze I was trapped in!!!!

TURNED IT DOWN - just because of that - believe it or not. There must have been 400 engineers in all these tiny cubicles doing their "thing". I would be an ant in a land of giants!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back