Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Career change from CompSci to CE 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanjs

Civil/Environmental
Feb 5, 2004
US
I graduated with a BS in Computer Science in 1997. Overall, I've been happy in my career since then and have weathered the tech recession relatively unscathed. However, I don't enjoy it as much as I used to so I'm considering a career change.

I'm looking into going back to school to get a BS in Civil Engineering, specializing in either transportation or water resources. I haven't been able to talk with an academic advisor yet but assume the math and science classes I took for CompSci can be applied to CE so I just need to take the CE related classes to get the degree.

The tech industry future just doesn't look as bright as it did a few years ago. I live in a large, quickly growing metro area with it's expected traffic problems and soon to be very serious water problems. Even though it will take me awhile to get the proper education in CE, it looks like the need will be there in the future. I'm also hoping my computer background helps.

I'd like opinions from those that are already in the field. Is my thinking way off or am I going down the right path?

Thanks,
Jeff

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We need more engineering graduates. We have had a difficult time hiring young engineers as the number of qualified applicants appears to be way down.

I'm not sure that the math and science classes for computer science and engineering would be interchangeable. For instance, I began my college career with a double major in chemistry and biology. I took 3 semester of calculus and 2 of physics along with numerous chemistry and biology classes. After two years I decided to make a change to civil engineering. I had to re-take calculus and physics because they didn't transfer.

Your computer science background is a benefit as most of us sit in front of a computer 8 hours a day.

For most engineers in the US, the four year BSCE will take about 4.5 or 5 years to achieve. I would expect that it would probably take 3 years full time to get the degree.

I'll conditionally disagree, [blue]cvg[/blue] - assuming [blue]ryanjs[/blue] goes back to school at the same place s/he earned that computer science degree. That might take less than 2 years, if they don't require [blue]ryanjs[/blue] to start over on the liberal arts stuff. It's been almost seven years since the first degree, and anything older than that may have to be done again.

Time is of the essence, [blue]ryanjs[/blue]. Get your application in ASAP - and talk to the Dean of students in person if you can.

I'm glad you have decided on one of the "traditional" civil tracks. Those areas won't go away anytime soon! I would have been troubled had you indicated an interest in environmental engineering - a sub-discipline that I feel will represent a shrinking part of the civil engineering business over the next few decades. Most of the hazardous waste sites have been characterized and/or cleaned up, and landfill design is pretty much a commodity. Not much asbestos around anymore. It's not the booming area that existed in the early 1980's -

[pacman]

Please see FAQ731-376 for great suggestions on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Why not chemical or mechanical engineering? Civil engineering is the least paid of the disciplines. Starting salary in the mid-atlantic is approx. 38k, and PE with 20 years experience might make 65k. Also, most non-engineers feel that anyone can do what a civil engineer does, just attend a local meeting for an infrastructure project. Maybe nursing is of interest, starting out in mid fifties while reimbursing college loans and paying for advanced degrees. I apologize if I sound cynical, but please investigate the occupation fully before making such a commitment. The problem with this field is that for those that are not involved, civil engr. has a false image of a non-existent stature. In reality, engineers are selected at the lowest bid and dime a dozed designs are the preferred standard.

I do realize that money is not everything, but certainly an easier lifestyle is the pursuit of all individuals. Research!

Our professional image is a real concern, and [blue]ryanjs[/blue] should look at all options. But that wasn't the question that was asked...and it may not be in the direction that [blue]ryanjs[/blue] wants to go -

[pacman]

Please see FAQ731-376 for great suggestions on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

I would have to disagree with Focht3 about there not being much asbestos around anymore. There are a lot of buildings full of asbestos spray on fire proofing and pipe insulation.

Mechanical engineering is a possibility also, especially if I could use it for something in the robotics field. I want to be able to get into something that still uses my computer background so all of the schooling and experience I've achieved so far is not completely lost.

The metro area I live in is Denver, CO. I'm sure some CE guys are already looking into options that can be applied to I-70 going into the mountains. If they decide on widening, I can't even fathom how much design would be needed. New tunnel bores would be needed for two sets of tunnels. Some areas are very narrow between cliffs on one side and a major creek on the other. They aren't supposed to start construction until 2010 at the earliest.

My research into salaries for CEs is very comparable to software engineering, at least in the Denver area. I realize I'll have to take another paycut if I switch careers but if I'm more happy than I am now, it will be worth it. CDOT has positions for CEs from engineer-in-training I on up. I'd like to get into a low-level CE job while still in school like I did with computers. Now that I've been in the real world for awhile, I've definitely seen how you learn much more working compared to what college teaches you.

Hmmm,

I was working when the asbestos craze first hit, [blue]JPatten[/blue]. Yes, there are still a lot of buildings that contain asbestos - but many more have been remediated or the asbestos has been encapsulated. Clean-up will continue, but will occur slowly as facilities are decommissioned.

What you don't realize is that asbestos treatment is now a commodity - very little (if any) engineering is now involved. And it's not getting any better -

Ah, the days when the assessment and engineering fees ran into the $20,000 range - and the engineering firms actually did the clean-up work...

You can now get an asbestos assessment for less than $1,000 - 25 years later. In my view, that's not a market to be in.

[pacman]

ryanjs,

As Joseph Campbell would say, "Follow your bliss". You are changing career directions at a time when you have already seen some of what the world has to offer. You now should have a better idea of what your interests are, more so than most of those entering college. Take advantage of that opportunity and follow what your interests are, making a living is a lot easier if you enjoy what you are doing.

The other thing I might make note of is the wide variety of sub-disciplines within the Civil Engineering umbrella. There is a lot of room to grow from a basic CE degree as markets and work enviornments change. Good choice!

Very good points Focht3. I guess I was just thinking about every building I have been involved in and always running into asbestos problems. I didn't really think it through to the point you did.

I enjoy civil/geotechnical engineering. I make the added money (over the lower pay) by working outside of US/Canada - but I miss the "Boob" Bowls more often than not. If you want civil - great and I like the more traditional works - that with infrastructure; it will always be needed. Others try to point you several other ways. You've indicated that you like robotics - why not bioengineering?? But, if you have that pull for civil - by all means follow the yellow brick road!! [cheers] - p.s. I find that geotechs/civils enjoy [cheers] typically more than some other disciplines!

Civil has been very very good to me. All jokes aside, don't let your future civil (or anything) employer know you were a cs, otherwise you'll be stuck with th IT work and you won't see much ce work.

All the advice above is very good taken with a grain of salt. You should check out all disciplines in order to ascertain which is most compatible with your interests.

Civil Engineering works are around everywhere and not just in Colorado. Joining the right firm could have you working just about anywhere thanks to today's technology. Having said that, any plans for construction into or around any mountains, plains or rivers is either already well underway or should have been. So don't necessarily focus on those projects that you know about; chances are if you know of them, they've been under planning and under contract/design already.

The upside is that there are always opportunities for CE works or for maintaining or widening those facilities.

I also agree with the previous poster on the CS degree. You'll have to assert your experience in this area in order to let any future employers know that you were working and working hard. What you must insist on is that you'll have nothing to do with it any longer. Otherwise, you'll be the go to guy for computer problems.

Good Luck.

Regards,
Qshake
[pipe]
Eng-Tips Forums:Real Solutions for Real Problems Really Quick.

Might i suggest that you look into a MS rather than a BS in civil. It may only add one year to the time necessary for the BS. It is just a thought, I think it will help you out in the long run. Also as a note, many colleges have added non thesis options ( not as research heavy) to their programs.

There would be many areas where the combination of backgrounds would be an asset. Any computer aided design work or modeling of water or traffic comes to mind. Developing software for the engineering field would also be an area where the combination of degrees would be beneficial.

The more you know, the more you can do and therefore the more valuable and irreplaceable you are to an employer.

What first got me amd still keeps me excited about civil engineering (more than 30 years after starting engineering school)is it’s the only discipline where the results of your work may still be in use and beneficial to others 2,000 years from now. The ancient Roman engineers that built the aqueducts in Europe have left a lasting legacy for many generations.

All other disciplines their work product simply will not be useful in 50 years. How many cars are still in daily productive use are that old? How many industrial products are that old and still useful? Even in countries as young as Canada and the US there are lots of examples of civil works still in daily productive use 100 or even 200 years later.

Follow your heart. If doing civil engineering work looks interesting then go for it. If nothing else you can always go back to computers or try a different field.

Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Construction Project Management
From conception to completion

gbam and RDK are both onto something...

An MS would probably be quicker, cheaper and more useful than a new BS at this stage in your career.

I wholeheartedly disagree with the previous posts which recommended you abandon (and refuse to do?) CIS/IT tasks. If I where interviewing you, I would see those abilities as an asset. Even if your civil skills were weaker than someone with a civil background, I would hire you precisely BECAUSE you can make a computer talk to another. This is a skill which too many civils don't have and desperately need. Conversely, if you told me you have networking abilities and refuse to do them, I would not hire you regardless of your civil abilities...the world has enough people who only do one thing and refuse to do other things.

In Canada at least it is the Bachelor’s degree that is used to determine eligibility for entry to the profession.

If you do no have a BSc from an accredited university then becoming a P.Eng is difficult. You can have a MSc from MIT and that will not count for entry.

Just something else to consider.

Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Construction Project Management
From conception to completion

An MS would probably be quicker, cheaper and probably more useful to you than a new BS at this stage in your career.

Civil Engineering is not considered to be a glamorous, challenging, exciting, or highly paid profession. I am tired of hearing complaints from other engineers all of the time at work. (You know the type, those disgruntled guys that like to listen to a certain drug abusing Florida radio announcer.) Worst of all, in civil engineering, you might have to deal with non-technical municipal or political hacks because a lot of civil projects are municipal related. If I was starting out, civil would not be on the top of the list.

Why don't you consider Electrical Engineering? It is related to computer science and you will be able to use your CS background.

Hi,ryanjs. I'm fairly new to the field, but I am certain that your computer science degree would make a great asset if you decide to venture into transportation or water resources field. Both of these fields require extensive computer knowledge because of their inherent dynamic nature, and the amount of data, trial and error,repetition that you have to deal with. Personally, I don't see much engineering design nowadays, most have been entrusted to over-the-counter softwares, and engineers I know of live under their mercy. With your computer science background, you have the ability to tackle and "procedurize" complex solution that some engineers simply cannot attain. Being able to program and manage database is the key to solving a lot of problems.

As far as MS or BS, you'll be exposed to more fundamentals if you opt for BS, and you might be forced to take classes that you simply not interested in just to fulfill the hours. For BS degree,the meaningful classes that might help you at work are most lightly the junior and senior classes, which you should be able to enroll in as well, as a MS candidate. In my opinion, the gist of BS is well summarized in a PE review book. MS seems to be a better choice, with a lot of perks. The only drawback for MS is, as already mentioned, you might not be able to take your PE, or as soon as you desire. Whether you want to be the jack of all, or the master of one, ultimately the decision lies within your love for the field.

Just my 2 cents. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back