Career help / covering letter help

Status
Not open for further replies.

kallen88

Electrical
Apr 10, 2013
AU
Hello Forum,

Hope this is appropriate to post here but I really need some advice. I am trying to figure out what I can do about my career situation and I have a question relating to job applications specifically cover letter and resume details.

Ill start with a bit of context. I am a Mechatronic Engineering graduate of about 2 years now and have a steady job in a small mineral processing/ metallurgical testing company from the time I finished Uni. I have been helping to design and implement control and data logging systems for pilot scale plants, as well as a bit of embedded controller work. This job came to me about 2 years ago from a friend I met through my sporting interests and it was the kind of job environment that would suit my personality. However, due to the size of the company, resources are limited and I have not really had a major mentor figure except from helpful suppliers and though the internet/text books. Work has slowed down and I realised I am not going anywhere here I want to go find a more fruitful and rewarding job. I also realise I have missed out on engineering graduate program opportunities and am kicking myself now I didn't go down that path earlier. Little I can do about that now so I am gathering my options and moving on.

So, I have applied for a few jobs but due to the nature of my current position I have gained a small amounts of experience on a lot of things and not a great deal on thing specific. 'Jack of all master of none' kind of deal. This has made it difficult to put a case forward in my cover letter/CV that I am the ideal candidate for a particular entry level engineering position when the requirements are quite specific.

So finally (sorry for the long read) here is my query. I would like to apply for a listed position that would suit my ideal work environment and interests. The job is for a control systems engineer for PLC and SCADA systems design. For the most part that's what I have been doing the last 2 years but the desired experience lists specific hardware and software manufactures and communication protocols I have had no experience with. Should I be honest in my cover letter stating that I have not had experience with what they are asking for but instead highlight the fact that I have had to learn and apply similar packages quickly, with successful outcomes, basically off my own initiative? Or should I be trying a different approach than applying for entry level jobs where competition is high?

I want to put the strongest case forward I can so I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

People asking for pie in the sky requirements for entry level jobs are being a bit daft.

"Should I be honest in my cover letter stating that I have not had experience with what they are asking for but instead highlight the fact that I have had to learn and apply similar packages quickly, with successful outcomes, basically off my own initiative? "

Absolutely. That is an excellent approach. Good luck.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

I totally agree with Greg. DO NOT attempt to embellish your resume. A simple question will immediately reveal the truth, and you would wind up looking silly, at best. Be careful of even using phrases like, "Familiar with XYZ" Someone had that on their resume, so I asked them what projects they had done with it. Their answer was, "Uh, well, I watched someone use the program." Duh...

Requirements in job postings are usually flexible, and allows the company the option to nix someone they don't like without getting into it; they can simply say, "Oh, the applicant didn't know how to use XYZ."

I would also point out that it's almost never too late to learn something new. One really good option would be to get hired by a larger company that might have educational reimbursements. Usually, in cases like that, so long as you carry a decent GPA and complete your degree, you can potentially get what is essentially a free education.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Thank you for the responses. I figured that was the best approach. However I do think the aforementioned position is for a more mid to senior level where I would still sit in the graduate level of experience. The company is one I would be very interested in working for so I am wondering if it would still be worth applying for in hopes of making my self known to them if they have something else. I have had a friend from uni who managed to pick up a lower level job at a larger company by applying for the higher level position.

On a slightly different note, I have just found a Career Planner booklet written by Engineers Australia, targeted toward graduate engineers. This is a great tool to help identify your personal and professional traits and to map out your career future. I think I will go through this any way as it helps identify what you should focus on. There is a section that details the 5 most successful methods of landing a new job. The top is finding our what you have to offer and networking yourself. Would this be as simple as calling or emailing potential employees asking if they would consider an application from you?

If certain companies don't offer any graduate position or programs (which I am not really eligible for now anyway), I am not sure how many companies would be willing to take on someone like me knowing that I will need a bit of training and guidance to become a true asset? Everyone seems to be looking for already experienced people, which of course makes sense, but does not help my situation.

Thanks.

At only two years out of school, you're still considered an entry-level engineer, so don't go looking for senior level requirements. I talk up the fact that I'm a jack of all trades, master of none. Although I have a lot of experience in the signal processing field, I haven't truly worked in that area for nearly 10 years now, but I let people know I'm capable of doing it again should the need arise. I am capable of analog and digital circuit design, I can program embedded systems using anything from assembly to C and from bootloader to application level, I can handle mechanical and optical design, etc.

And that's what you should be doing, talking up your strengths. Being a jack of all trades is a serious strength in many positions. Companies don't expect you to be strong in any particular field yet as you are entry-level, so I don't think you're really hurting here. Now is the perfect time to get as much experience in as wide a range of interests as you can... I did it by accident, but you can do it by choice (mostly). If you understand the underlying theory, you can make the logical leap to a specific system... if you work on PLCs, making the jump to a different manufacturers SCADA system isn't a huge leap, and the hiring manager knows this. Talk up your abilities, mention where you think you might have some ramp-up time, but close with your confidence that you can overcome the delta in knowledge in short order.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Personally I would not mention any lack of competence/skills on particular job requirements.
I would simply say nothing. I would just mention my strengths.

If during the interview some questions are asked about the area where I lack expertise, then I will answer that I don't have experience. But as golden rule, I would not limit myself by myself upfront. Nobody knows how the interview, if that happens, will be and the context. So lets arrive first there at the interview and see. Then even during the interview I would avoid highlight weaknesses even if I am scared of being really capable to handle the task or not. Same principle lets get the job and see how to overcome the challenges.

I would try to keep a positive spirit, argue in defense of the above that I have good track record for being a quick learner and highlight some other fields where I have competence are convince that these are quite close to what is principally demanded.

Ok, thank you all.

Good advice in there. I can see the benefits to both approaches, either being 100% honest but careful in pointing out the lack of experience and ways to overcome, or not saying anything and really concentrate on my strengths. I suppose I will have to pick an approach and be consistent with it.

As far as the jobs themselves, it is really hard to find entry level positions in the field I want to be in, without being picky. Does anyone have any experience or success with cold calling/emailing? I have tried this with 2 of my most preferred companies, one responded in 'we may be looking for someone in a couple of months' and nothing from the other. So these senior level positions are the only ones I can really find which are actually quite abundant. Are they still worth applying for?

Back on the graduate band wagon, I have found an advertised graduate program on Linkedin for a GE Oil and Gas. Looks VERY attractive however one of the requirements are no more than 1 year from graduating or December 2013 graduates, and I am now about 1.5 years from my graduation date. Still worth applying? Yeh why not.

I would apply, but not for those specific positions... it could set a bad taste in the employers mouth, like you're trying to overstep your capabilities. What you can do is apply to the company for a generic position, so to speak. This will give them an opportunity to know you, what your skills are, etc. Some companies are capable/willing to create a position just for you if they think you'll be a good asset in the future. Again, talk up your strengths.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

@GregLocock

I assume you are quite experienced engineer, so this could make some difference with the OP. The more you become knowledgeable and gain self confidence, the more you feel comfortable to point out what you CANNOT do because you know very well what you CAN do.
So from that perspective the OP situation seems to me different.

Greg, I do see your point but I do tend to agree with rotaryw about expressing strengths rather than how to get around caveats, up until the interview process anyway. I would rather answer this in person. I do agree that finding the core requirements are essential so I would not apply for a position in say, project management as a core, as I have little direct experience and honestly do not know how well I would perform. I would however feel comfortable applying for a PLC/SCADA design role with elements of project management, knowing that I don't have the exact requirements, as I do have a reasonable idea of my strengths in the design aspect.

So yes, I do think you should know the core of what you are applying which should be the center of your set of experiences and strengths. I just think I would rather concentrate on what I can do and can provide for the company rather than use those precious words in a cover letter to explain what I cant. I suppose, if you word it correctly, shows that your are honest, forward thinking and an advocate for your own development. So if the company expresses these as its core values it may be worth it.

I am also looking at some professional certificates or even an advanced diploma to fill some of the voids of experience. I think as macgyver mentioned I will continue to seek out companies and submit my credentials in hope they will find me valuable. Also this way if I'm not addressing any list of requirements there is no need whatsoever to point out what I am not strong with.

Nothing can beat stopping by the company and asking for five minutes with the chief engineer. Most anyone has five minutes to spare. It is far easier to not respond to a letter of phone call than to refuse to see someone. Also, it takes more work to go there than to write or call and that is a factor to make use of. Do some research ahead of time as to the company's work.

"Nothing can beat stopping by the company and asking for five minutes with the chief engineer"

That may work with some employers but I've found it completely ineffective, at best the receptionist takes a copy of my resume, more often they tell me to checkout their companies website.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back