Career Improvement: PE vs MS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vepr

Chemical
May 12, 2015
US
Hey All,

I'm a process engineer with a background in chemical engineering, working in the food/beverage/distilled spirits industry. I have a BS, and am considering pursuing both PE certification, and a part-time MS in ChemE while I work to improve my job prospects/salary.

Are either of these value add for a process engineer? Which, if either, would you select as being more valuable in industry (defined as better career prospects and higher salary)? If neither, what would you do beyond working to gain experience?

Thanks for your input!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes - get PE (assuming that you have the required experience)
Not sure what course you are proposing for MS and what your career goals are, so it is difficult to comment. But in general, yes assuming it aligns with your goals. Ie it would be hard to justify a MS in nuclear if you want to work in food.
Have you considered industry related accreditation - eg Institute of Brewing and Distilling?

I went for MSME, discovered the MSME program was turning me into an applied mathematician in preparation for chasing a Ph.D. I changed to a non-thesis Master program in Manufacturing Engineering. I viewed it as "broad-based advanced training beyond the BS" and it has suited me well. I also got the PE. But in the manufacturing field, there has been little or no opportunity to use the PE. But I keep it because those two letters after my name carry some weight, and it helped set me apart from the herd. I never had interest in the MBA, but took a lot of short courses in those kinds of topics. Looking back at my career, both the Master's and the PE opened a few extra doors for me, but did not guarantee advancement. That came from hard work, luck, building a reputation, and seizing the opportunities when presented.

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Virtuoso Robotics Engineering

When I got my PE, there was an instantaneous, dramatic shift in the way I was treated by clients and coworkers. Projects which were encountering resistance to reasonable design changes saw that resistance evaporate. The PE itself does not make one a credible engineer, but it is seen by many as a mark of credibility. I would advise to get the PE first, then pursue the MS degree.

Not that you need more input... Get both. Both will open doors a solo BS will not. Those two things are investments in yourself, which is always an excellent process. I'm glad you're being proactive and have a desire to continue investing in yourself and your future.

Pamela K. Quillin, P.E.
Quillin Engineering, LLC

I've been in the Chemical Industry 36 years. I don't know that I have ever met a ChE with a PE. If I did they probably worked for an Engineering firm. ChE's with PE's are rare birds. I don't think they are worth more than a regular ChE.

In a MegaCorp a MSChE gets hired in at a higher level. It puts them about 3-5 years ahead of a BSChE.

That's my experience.

Good luck,
Latexman

Technically, the glass is always full - 1/2 air and 1/2 water.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Latexmam- how would you compare a PE to an MS in industry? Or are PEs just too rare? If you were a manager with an employee/applicant with a PE, what would you think?

For most companies in manufacturing or industrial applications, they are exempt from PR licensure requirements, so a PE is irrelevant, except as a means to pad the company's bona fides on proposals. We used to have a PE on our staff, and never once did he use his stamp. In California, I don't even see mention of chemical engineering as a licensable profession, electrical, mechanical, and civil, that's it.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
There is a homework forum hosted by engineering.com:

Like I said, I don't think I have ever met a ChE with a PE, so I can't make a comparison. I don't know if the Chemical Industry recognizes and rewards them. You just don't know what you don't know.

Good luck,
Latexman

Technically, the glass is always full - 1/2 air and 1/2 water.

I think it depends on the field. I imagine that a P.E license carries more weight just because it certifies someone has 4+ years of experience and will assume a certaine level of responsibility. If you were comparing two engineers, one with a masters degree and 4 years of experience and one with a P.E. and 4 years of experience I think I would side with the person with the masters degree for technical jobs. The P.E. is very good but anyone with a masters degree and the work experience should be able to pass the test easily.

You have no idea how your career and life will go, i.e., you don't know what you will be doing 5-10 years from now. I think getting both will be a good idea. My career began in a chemical plant and a PE was required for promotion. Was it politics? Yes but that was the rule for getting ahead over the long haul of a career. Some people are pushing for licensure for all engineers. I don't think it will happen soon but I think it will happen.

Pamela K. Quillin, P.E.
Quillin Engineering, LLC

It really depends on a lot of factors. When I started on my masters degree (part time while working) and got my PE license, I was working for a company that valued neither the MS or PE, in terms of promotion ability, salary, etc. I worked at that company (manufacturing company) for another 2 years after getting my PE, and only used my stamp once, for a spill prevention control and countermeasure plan that was required to be completed for an addition to the building. However, when I applied for the job at my new company (energy), the PE played a direct part in me getting hired, because the PE is highly valued at this company. Later, having the MS and PE also contributed to a significant promotion that would not have been possible at that time without the MS and PE.

There are a lot of companies and industries where either the PE, MS or both are not valued and there are also many where the PE, MS or both are highly valued. What do you value, and which are you willing to put forth the effort to get? Neither one, by itself, makes you a better engineer. The process you go through to earn them will make you a better engineer...and demonstrate to others that you have the abilities and will to stick with something difficult until completion. Good luck with either one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back