Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Career move from Drilling Supervisor to Senior Drilling Engineer (Consultant)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajantala

Petroleum
Jul 22, 2015
A2
G'day mates,

I am considering a career move from working as a Consultant DSV to a Consultant SDE and would need some advice on how to go about this. I started of as a Completion Engineer with Schlumberger but after a Masters Degree in Drilling and Well Engineering from Robert Gordon University I have successfully been able to make the switch to working as a Consultant DSV (started off as NDSV though) mostly for indigenous E&P companies. The plan right from the start was to eventually work in the capacity of a Drilling Engineer but I chose to start off as a Drilling Supervisor because of the field experience which would make me a more rounded Engineer in the office. The challenge I am facing now is how to proceed to becoming a SDE because companies would definitely want to know one's track record as a SDE before offering such a position to fill, the other option which I think would be more practical is to go for Drilling Engineer-related courses and build up from there before approaching available companies for a role as a SDE.

What do you guys think?

PS: I am not totally open to the idea of moving on to just a Drilling Engineer position as this would affect my present day rate since most companies don't hire for a DE Consultant position but would rather have them as permanent employees.

Many Thanks.

AJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back