Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Career Path Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

babwilms

Jun 13, 2013
KW
I need advice on what career part to follow. I have a BEng in Aeronautical Engineering from University of Salford UK. I also did a Msc programme in Air Transport Management at Cranfield University but I failed to meet the cut off mark and I was awarded a certificate of membership.

Currently I am working as an aircraft maintenance engineer at Bristow Helicopter Nigeria after going through the rigorous process of getting an avionics license at the aviation college here in Nigeria. I am currently working on the S76 and S92 helicopters.

The thing is I believe that I deserve a better job than this with my qualification. What should I do? My heart desire is to be involve in the management of airlines. But I feel that my current job will not get me there, it sorts of limits me. What additional qualification can I go for? Also I am currently under a three years bond, which means I cannot leave the company for another job. I will be going on my S76 type rating course by middle of next year.

However my plan is to get the UK B2 license in avionics with the 5 years working experiencing a company like Bristow. With this I can get a Category C license, which means I will be able to issue certificate of release on an aircraft.

Please what should I do?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Any advice given would depend on what you mean by "management of airlines"?
Your current career path might not be bad at all, and could eventually lead to a role as a maintenance manager...

There are obviously many other options, depending on which department (in an airline) you want to work in, e.g. operations or technical. If you do not want to have a career in maintenance production, you obviously need to get some office time. One way is to apply for a Part M liaison engineer/Part 21J engineer position (should work well with your degree, and experience from the shop floor), and try to work your way upwards, possibly supplementing your engineering degree with an MBA later...

Good luck,

CC

you want to get into "airline mgmt" but failed the MSC for Airline Mgmt ... arr, humm, i think the world is trying to tell you something ...

and, yes, we need more MBAs in the world ...

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Please what is a Part M liaison engineer/Part 21J? I tried looking for ways on how to go about the qualifications for it but it is not making any sense. I will appreciate it if you can explain a bit on it.

I am interested in any position that can enable me to rise to the position of an airline managing director or Director General of a Civil Aviation Authority. Can my current position as an Aircraft maintenace engineer get me their? if not what must I do? what qualifications can get me there? Am I on the right part?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back