Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Career path - Mechanical/ Aesthetic Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximise

Mechanical
Feb 14, 2009
GB
Hi, I'm looking for some IDEAS on matching my interests to industry.

My dream job is to design - with a primary emphasis on aesthetics.

I enjoy sketching and would draw cars in my spare time whilst at school and university.
I have considered studying another degree in industrial design or architecture.
Until now I have been researching the many facets of engineering and have found I hold a great interest for industrial design, because:

+ I enjoy making things look good, on paper or in 3D using my hands.
+ I want to help people
+ I want to improve our surroundings functionally and aesthetically

Background:
I am a Mechanical Engineering Bachelors graduate in the United Kingdom.
I have two years post-grad industry experience - project engineering for the waste-water industry and mechanical engineering (metalwork design) for the defence industry.

Options:
Taking into consideration current economic conditions and a desire to earn a living I choose to forge a career in mechanical design.
I believe that I need a technically chanllenging role with scope to utilise my aesthetic design skill.

I am applying for mechanical design engineer positions at a junior/graduate level with intent to build my expertise long-term, contributing to the environmental and medical industries.

So I guess the Q I need to ask is should I return to study a degree in design
OR
can I make a transition career path that will enable me to provide aesthetic design services.

Many thanks,
D

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You might find a career path that works with your current education. However, I've done some aesthetic design, then been second guessed because I don't have the more artistic aspect to my higher education.

So, taking some kind of ID or even some other artsy fartsy class might help in this kind of situation.

If you do become an Industrial Designer, try to still keep your engineering brain at least slightly engaged and not come up with fancy stuff that looks great on paper/computer screen but is real difficult to turn into reality.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back