Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

CAREER PATH... PLEASE HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

daphne23

Industrial
Sep 10, 2007
US
I am a manufacturing engineering graduate from other country. When I relocated here in USA, I was hired as a quality auditor. Now I want to pursue my career but I do not know where to start. My education/knowlegde was not very good since the school I went to taught mostly theoretical --- which I easily forgot. I do not have much money to go back to college and I feel I am running out of time. I called ABET on how I can take an engineering exam to be a certified engineer/professional but they require 3 years of working in an engineering company. No engineering company would like to hire me for I do not have enough experience and knowledge. What do I do? I am also not decided on what career path (what branch of engineering) to pursue. All I am interested in is CAD and I'm not sure if I have a future in that path after graduating from a 5 year course.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Brush-up on your self-study of Lean manufacturing, that is where a lot of companies are heading. Perhaps try to get your hands on some student version of popular CAD software and make yourself more employable. It sounds like you'd rather be a design engineer over a manufacturing engineer.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

It sounds like you are not interested in continuing in your current position so do keep looking. With an interest in CAD (and hopefully some experience with using CAD software) you could look at some of the contract work firms. They provide people to companies that need additional people for relatively short periods (6-12+ months) so do not want to hire a full time employee. This could potentially give you exposure to a wide range of products and industries. You could also find a full time position with a company by first working under a contract for them.

As MadMango indicates, keep finding ways to learn and improve your capabilities. Professional society memberships can also open doors to further professional opportunities. Good luck and keep going. Good news is you have current employment to build from.

Buck up, buddy.

Your position is a lot more common than you realize. Colleges teach theory. Everyone forgets a lot of it. You are just smarter than a lot of folks in that you have more ambition and a much clearer understanding of your position.

Find a big company that will give you practical experience and pay your tuition.

First, sit down and write a list of what you do have to offer. No one will hire you based on your shortcomings.

Thomas J. Walz
Carbide Processors, Inc.

Thank you so much for your opinions and recommendations. Right now I am trying to have my credentials evaluated so I can get the equivalency and be treated as a graduate here in USA as well. If I have to, I will attend few classes to finish and complete the requirements.

After that, I am not aware of my career path options (related to major). As mentioned, Lean Manufacturing is one. Design engineer is also a possibility. Do you have more ideas? From here, I will decide what I really want.

if you get into a school and take more classes, look into doing a semester or 2 of co-op, or cooperative education. you apply to a company, they pay you about half of what their engineers make, but they know you have no experience and it is a time for training. they will train you in your field by allowing you to assist engineers in work.

what state/area are you in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back