Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

career path 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

swagger

Mechanical
May 29, 2003
AU
I am a mechanical technician working (short term contract) in a very modern power station (almost set & forget!)We just completed our first major maitenance shutdown and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Problem is, is that its back to the old routine now and not the cut and thrust of a turbine overhaul. I've been invited to join the crew who travel the country for weeks on end overhauling turbines and I'm sorely tempted. Any pearls of wisdom that have travelled this road?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you're single, go for it. It'll like being a rock star, except without all the sex, drugs, and money.

[bat]There's no double-lock defense; there's no chain on my door.
And I'm available for consultation,
but remember your way in is also my way out
[bat]

Working in field service will achieve a lot of experiance fast. If your not tied down go for it. You should be able to double your salary (including overtime). Bank as much as you can. There are variety of different positions that you will be able to slide into once you have a couple of years in field service and you will know what you will want by then.

Good Luck

Ray Micallef, P. Eng.
Power Generation/Utility Industry

Proceed with caution swagger.

I am away from home 100-120 nights per year. I'm sitting in a hetel romm right now. A few points to consider. You WILL find it very difficult to get things done at home. You will find it difficult to make plans with friends and family and keep them. You'll miss birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, etc. It helps if your single, but what really matters is that you are prepared to make some big sacrifices to get the job done for the customer. We commonly put in 70-80+ hours weeks in the initial start-up phase of a project.

Now for the positives. You can easily increase your salary by 75-100% or more depending on your companies compensation plan (just don't blow it all on steak dinners and bar tabs when your travelling...don't laugh I know people who have been doing it for years). You will be able to generate a list of contacts/aquaintances in your industry that will make the salemen in your comapny green with envy. I'm confident that if I had to leave my position with my current employer, I could find another within a day. And you will gain a lot of experience - fast.

It's not a decision to be taken lightly. If you have a family, they MUST be 100% on board.

Hope this helps

MadKungFu

From your post, you seem to have the traveling attitude. In most plants the regular hands can't wait for the outage to end so they can get back to the steady routine they desire, some of us can't stand routine, and need to go find something and someplace new. It's just a difference in altitude.

regards,
JTMcC.

Find any old(er) sailor, solder, marine, airman and ask them what it is like living 'on the road'. Ask for the bad times as well as the good.

MadFungFu has given you something on which to chew!

Construction men thrive on moving from site to site leaving monuments to their efforts all over the world. It's not the life for everyone but very satisfying for the few who can cope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back