Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Carpal tunnel syndrome 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

design0058

Mechanical
Mar 2, 2007
US
Have any of you developed Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? After 35 years of using NX and its predecessors I’ve developed it in my mouse hand. I wonder if the button pushes weren’t taken away and replaced with mouse clicks, would I be in this situation? My clicking finger is just about useless at this point. My daughter is only 35 and is already having problems with her mouse hand due to constant computer work. Is there a mutual fund where I can invest in the repair of Carpal Tunnel surgery? The best of luck to all you young people.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Years ago I developed it in my left-hand/wrist due to the PFK (old-timers will know what I mean). But since I've not used NX for over eight-years now, whatever problems I currently have, I can no longer blame it on NX ;-)

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Strangely with everyone using typewriters for a hundred years, nobody got carpal tunnel. Ive never heard of someone who types a lot on a keyboard getting it. t is always associated with the mouse. But isnt it the same motion really?

Am I missing something?

Ken
My brain is like a sponge. A sopping wet sponge. When I use it, I seem to lose more than I soak in.

Typing mainly involves sequential 10 finger movement; mouse manipulation usually involves simultaneous squeezing and hand movement with intermittent 3 finger movement.

"Know the rules well, so you can break them effectively."
-Dalai Lama XIV

I started having trouble with my right hand years ago until I discovered Contour mouse. Back then it was available in several sizes to fit your hand and in left/right versions. Mine is cartoonishly large but fits my hand without needing to grip too hard. It's a true three button mouse so I don't have to be careful not to spin the scroll wheel when middle clicking.

I started to develop issues with my left wrist from using a Spacemouse until I designed and printed the "Spacemouse Inclinator" that tilts the Spacemouse 15°. Took a lot of pressure off my wrists.

oddly enough I just had surgery for Ulnar nerve entrapment and carpal tunnel syndrome on my Left hand... I'm 53. 24yrs on UG/NX

What's Odd is I'm right handed and a hunt and pecker on the keyboard and I don't use a spaceball/mouse, so I doubt mine was work related.

Having used keyboard and mouse for the majority of my waking life over the last 35 years, and never having any issues, I'm going to guess it largely depends on workplace and tool ergonomics.

Holding the mouse at weird angles, having the table edge cut into your forearms, or forearms hanging over the desktop for years on end will kill your tendons eventually (and also neck and back).

So, following a basic ergonomics guide - things like holding your back straight, having the monitors at the correct angle with your eyesight, the table/seat height to rest your arms properly and a non-trash ergonomic mouse that lies comfortably in the hand - seems to be enough to keep the orthopaedist at bay. Bit of basic hand exercise and the occasional professional massage helps as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back