Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Carrier Shift from Structural (buildings) to Offshore Structural Eng.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubik

Structural
Mar 15, 2016
SA
Hi Everone. I have a general question regarding a career change. I have 8 years of experience in the design of buildings (steel, concrete, etc.) and thinking about switching to marine (offshore) structural engineering. My job isn't as well paid as I wish, there are crazy deadlines, and I can't really get involved in one projection in terms of design (there are too many of them at once). I don't feel fulfilled in general. I like the idea of marine engineering (e.g subsea), however

1. Did anyone manage to switch to marine eng. if so how did you do it? Is it even possible to switch to it from buildings? what can be done to achieve this? Just getting a job seems difficult. Maybe Masters's degree or some course would help?

2. What is the job like, is it fulfilling? Building design is extremely fast-paced, it requires creativity thou.

3. What about pay, from my research it seems that it pays better.

Thank you all in advance!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Get ready to quadruple your pace. Nobody is more impatient then petroleum companies trying to get their $750M platforms in the black as soon as possible. I started with heavy industrial, refineries and pulp and paper plants, then drifted into nuclear plants and finally backed into doing platform modifications for adding pipeline facilities here and there, adding deck extensions, helicopter landing pads, valve operating platforms, boat landings, pipeline riser guards and even adding chutes and marble pig handling structures to them. It was a lot more interesting than the generial commercial line ups.

A masters would help open that door, or alternatively just be in the right place at the right time. Haven't done any of that since the late 80's, so that's all I can say.

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back