Cascade Storage Systems for CNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubje

Chemical
Nov 6, 2022
US
Hi all

I’m having a hard time understanding what a cascade storage system is.
I’m especially interested in this since I have a project at an NGV facility
I tried to read multiple links like the one below but I can’t seem to understand how it works scientifically

Because of Boyle’s law and dalton law, to maximize pressure fueling a truck it’s best to fill starting from the lowest pressure vessel and working up to the highest pressure?

Scientifically, why is this better than a buffer system?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A cascade system seems quite clear to me.

You start with a tank which is at the lowest pressure to utilise as much as the gas as you can. Then when the pressures in the two tanks are more or less equal, you move onto a higher pressure tank.

This when a tanks pressure falls below the max pressure of the truck storage tank, you can still use the gas inside so it maximises the storage.

It's more a practical consideration than "scientific".

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Thank you for the response

"This when a tanks pressure falls below the max pressure of the truck storage tank, you can still use the gas inside so it maximises the storage."

Sorry not sure what you mean by this. Do you believe if a tank's pressure is less than the truck pressure it can be used to fill up one of the lower pressure tanks?

Thus, not this....

What I meant was that when a storage tank is less than the max pressure of the truck tank you can still use some of the gas to fill the truck up part of the way and then let another tank or tanks with higher pressure fill it up to its limit.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back