Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cast 17-4 ph heavy sections 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashlando

Materials
Feb 22, 2007
US
We are anticipating casting 17-4 PH stainless steel. The castings will weigh 6000-8000 pounds. The wall thicknesses will average about 4-5 inches. The chemistry will be as specified in CB7CU1. Any input from foundrymen knowledgeable with these castings would be appreciated, specifically - do we shake out hot or cold? How do we avoid excessive delta ferrite?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is the first one that I found. As I recall you are going to need to modify the chemistry and use some special casting practices.

What properties are you looking for? How do you intend to heat treat this?

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Rust never sleeps
Neither should your protection

I have cast runner blades this weight in CA6NM. So I do not see any major changes to be incorporated for processing your castings in 17-4 PH alloy.

Use conventional wisdom and adopt sound foundry practices. It will be good if you could give a cold shake out. Heavily chill the thick sections . My main concern will be regarding homogenizing these castings and then cooling it fast.

You could also try casting a small part of equivalent section thickness and then perform various heat tret cycles to get the best properties and microstructure.

Heat treatment of the heavy section 17-4PH castings will consist of homogenization at 2100 degrees F, solution at 1900 deg.F, followed by hardening at 1150 deg.F.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back