Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cast Alum Substitute from NACO 150 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaBeachZ

Mechanical
Nov 8, 2004
US
I have two Norwegian items cast from NACO 150 Alum (Nordisk Alum Co.), circa 1971. American sub given is SAE 309.

We have no molds to remake just one of each part. I'm looking for an extruded substitute alum alloy for the cast alum material and make billet from a block about the size of a 3 lb. coffee can.

This would be the easiest route because of reduced paperwork and recertification, i.e., a direct replacement material. If items were made from sheet alum and welded together, recertification would be in the process again.

Thank you for reading and your suggestions.

Everett#2390

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Assuming that your customer will let you make the substitution, the biggest source of misunderstanding that may arise will be with the mechanical properties. The published properties for die castings are "typical values", not guaranteed minimums. For 360 alloy, the UTS is 45 ksi and the TYS is 24ksi. For 6061-T6 extruded aluminum, the published mech properties are minimums and these are 38ksi UTS and 35ksi TYS. Rule of thumb for die castings is to design to 80% of the published typical values. Thus 80% of 45ksi is 36ksi and the 6061-T6 min UTS is slightly higher than this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back