Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cast steel Ground Engagement Tool failure after hardfacing 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

emonje

Mechanical
Nov 3, 2006
AU
Hello,

We make these cast steel tips for dragline buckets. Several failed recently, failure rate much higher than usual.

We had a batch of these tips hardfaced on top, front, side and bottom faces. Hardfacing didn't cover full face, just few ~20 mm wide weld lays of hardfacing metal.
All the failures have been in this batch.

Material is cast steel with Carbon equivalent of 0.7, typical hardness 400-450 BHN (43-47 HRC), typical yield strength around 750 MPa (108 ksi)

Here are some photos of the failed part:
WP_20160323_001_x08bm2.jpg

WP_20160323_003_hm4sdf.jpg

WP_20160323_004_c4hqih.jpg

WP_20160323_005_byih14.jpg

WP_20160323_006_ac7u5w.jpg

Here's a rendering of the part with hardfacing:
rendered1_wievqf.jpg

Can anyone please shed some light on possible cause & remedy?

I don't have any info on how the hardfacing was done, if any pre-heat or PWHT applied.

I was thinking this overwhelmingly brittle fracture was because the part was cooled too quickly, making it too hard to the application.
Not sure if pre-heat will help, part is too small to hold heat & remain in high enough temperature may be?
I was more inclined to some form of PWHT after hardfacing, or at least put it in furnace for slow cooling.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think that you need to visit the guys doing the hardfacing.
We used to hard face some parts, they were pre-heated, then pulled and placed on insulation while the overlay was being applied, then put into a box furnace an temper temperature. When the batch was done the furnace was shut off and allowed to cool.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

I would not bother or waste time with discussing the above until you have a proper metallurgical failure analysis performed to determine the cause of failure.

Have checked the failed parts for hardness?
For fun, before sending the parts off to the metallurgical failure analyst, I'd try drilling a few shallow hole in the surfaces near the cracks with a sharp cobalt 1/4 inch drill at slow speed with lubricant. I'd be looking for the drill to form short curly chips, and not dust

Why blame hard facing, it can be a poor quality casting too. One can see that the fracture is very coarse, typical of high carbon, high hardness material failure.

As suggested by metengr, get the complete analysis, before any inference can be made.

"Even,if you are a minority of one, truth is the truth."

Mahatma Gandhi.

With 0.7 carbon equivalent, you are definitely within zone III of the Graville diagram (attached); therefore, preheating is a must. However, I fully agree with everybody - else`s comments such as:

1. Coarse grain structure - very likely your casting / heat treatment process needs closer attention.

2. Also suggested a WPS/PQR for hardfacing build - up welding.

3. And "yes", root cause analysis is highly recommended to mitigate all possible combined side effects for both casting; heat treatment and hardfacing processes.

IBFmining1.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=c4114009-0351-42c4-8886-9fb8e7c2f448&file=graville.tif
For failure analysis, I would suggest in this instance also performing the same characterization testing on a part from a batch that was not experiencing failures. That is an easy way to see what specifically was different in terms of end results and the processing required to achieve them.

HI, the fracture surface indicates this is of typical "rock candy" brittle, intergranular failure because of Aluminum nitride precipitation associated with Quenched and tempered cast steels. This is clearly visible in the visual examination and associated with low toughness values. Of course further root cause analysis can confirm this Aluminum nitride embrittlement and what initiated the crack (such as hardfacing). Check with the casting supplier to find out the Al and N levels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back