Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Catch basin-freeboard-concept

Status
Not open for further replies.

LCid

Civil/Environmental
Nov 17, 2009
US
I recently read the following: "check the quantity of freeboard below the [catch]basin hood." In this context, is "freeboard" to be understood as the available holding capacity (of a particular catch basin) before the water it collects reaches the level of the overflow line?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When the CBs are inspected there may not be standing water inside them; also these CBs are standard size, so to have that vertical distance measured (the actual available; from top of accumulated fill/non-flotating debris) will in fact give you a volume. But you are right, better to have the agency clarify it. We'll do that soon. Thank you.

OK. Looks like you may be referring to how much material the cb can accumulate before the "freeboard" that allows the water to pass will be cut off.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering
Motto: KISS
Motivation: Don't ask

WOW!!! I thought we were all civil engineers. I am sure you guys are all employed as well!!! Think of the word "FREE BOARD" is basically the amount of clearance left before a structure is prone to handle surges(I believe). I saw one post that was even close to the definition. I can't believe you guys are employed. Must be nice to be professionals and not know what Free Board is. The young civils have such a hard road ahead!!! Move over or get out of the way LOLOLOL!!!

diggerman,

You are stating a definition of "freeboard." That, can be found easily. The "understanding" of freeboard is what has been discussed here in the context that was used (see above),in the language quoted from an RFP. Also see the attached image.
What is your understanding?

On a separate note, I do hope that everyone is employed. These are difficult times for many, not just for engineers, and my understanding of this venues is that these are "intelligent work forums for enginering professionals." With that in mind, you now have, again, the opportunity to help others with your knowledge and expertise.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/images/f
Very True LCid! We are actually going to be removing an existing bridge (very small one) because the freeboard is too low. Due to the overwhelming amount of developing in our area, the increased impermeable surfaces have forced run-off into local wetlands and has increased water levels surrounding the bridge. So..freeboard is very important. I'm not in design yet, but know the consiquences of not allowing enough clearance for structures around fluctuating watersheds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back