Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Catdraw file is too large

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoloX

Aerospace
Feb 25, 2004
CA
I'm reaching the limit of what Catia can handle regarding view generation. I'm working on a relatively large assembly (250 parts) and I cannot continue generating views anymore. The system keeps crashing. The .product file is approx 15 MB but the .catdraw file is 65 MB. We're running XP on a Dell 670 with 4GB.

I've tried creating the views using CGR, Approximate, etc but nothing helps. I have a suspicion that our design methodology is part of the problem. We don't use a "one part,one drawing" type structure. We're setup so that one drawing includes everything for that particular machine. This includes all the assembly views and all the views for each fabricated item. It's generally not an issue but recently our designs have become more complex and now we're reaching the limits of the system.

I've suggested to the system guys that we split the drawings into multiple .catdraw files (ie shts 1 to 10, 10 to 20, 20 to 30, etc) and only load the group of sheets being worked on. Unfortunately our file management utility that keeps track of our projects won't allow for this.

Has anyone encountered this problem? How do you generate many views for a complex assembly without crashing the system? Is there a limit to how much one .catdraw file can handle? etc.etc

Any suggestions or feed back would be appreciated. Thanks

Solo

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It doesn't sound that big, have you check in the task manager when you crash how much is allocated to the CNEXT process, in win32 it usually dives at 1.5-2 GB.

I'm asking because I have experianced drawing crashes that were due to bad imported surfaces

This may sound easy, but upgrade the designers to 64bit systems. I have tried to rework the system we have in place, but in the end we still deal with 500mb assemblies, some with 800-1000 parts. It may take a few costly errors before management will agree that hardware is relatively cheap.

Our designers use Dell 690 with 16GB ram and Nvidia Quadro 4500 cards.

Regards,
Derek

If you want to know if CATIA abended due to lack of process memory you need to find the Abend trace file for the crash. this is usually found C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\DassaultSystemes\CATTemp

in the abend file look for "Size of process" in the [MEMORY INFO] section if this is close to 2gb (or 3gb if you are using the 3gb switch) then it ran out of process memory

Thanks for the feed back.

I checked the task manager / abend trace file when it crashed. Abend trace "Size of Process" was 2739.70 (Physical Memory - 3328.08) and the task manager reported 2.75 GB so it's clear that I'm running out of memory.

DBezaire,

You mentioned you deal with 500Mb assemblies. WOW!! I'm baffled since my 3D product file is only 15Mb and the 2d drawing is 50Mb. When you say 800 to 1000 parts are you refering to ïnstances?
With those file sizes are you even able to generate 1 view??
I max out at 7 full assembly views plus 8 section views. The difference between our file sizes is enormous so I'm thinking there has to be something seriously wrong with the way our system is using memory.

Solo

Derek,

Do you have experience with DELL M90?, because I have to buy new computer for home, and I read that M90 has performance near desktop workstations.

Rgds,
Damir

We have run into the same issue with V5 shutting down upon several views with hundreds of parts in an assy. Our systems will crash if we reach about 1.8MB of memory, according to the Task Mgr. The multiple .catdraw was our last method. One last thing to try may be to change the view from exact or CGR to raster, but in the options after selecting raster change the output for draw side to high res while keeping the vis side normal. Dowfall is raster views are basically like a pdf view. Can't add anything to them as far as dims, section's, or anything that requires the true data. This worked for us on a couple of jobs, but on others this didn't save enough and had to split them up.
As for the amount of memory, under a 32 bit XP only can truly utilize 3MB from what I have found out.

Damir - sorry for the late response. If you buy the M90 go with 4gb ram and the FX3500 card and 64bit XP OS.(this will maximize the 4gb ram.) I use a Dell laptop when out of the office. Performance is decent with 2gig ram and a quadro fx1400 - 128meg card. You will need to run in CGR mode.

Regards,
Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back