Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Categorising this type of RC Beam 1

nicolas77

Student
Sep 27, 2023
MU
Hi,

How do we call a beam where the web and bottom bars are cast first (cast-in-situ) and the top of the beam is cast at a later stage together with the slab. The beam overall height and width is 450 and 150 and the 450 is 300mm. web and flange is 150 (same thickness as the slab). The casting is done in two distinct/separate stage days or weeks apart. So far in handbooks they have singly versus double reinforced beam and rectangular and T or L shaped beam. How to intepret that beam, how to categorise it? should it be singly rectangular with the dimension of the web taken in consideration? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Usually beams reinforcement can be divided into three parts: 1. the bottom or main tensile part which is the very minimum, the essential with the binders and at very least two top bars to hold the stirrups together making out singly-reinforced beams. 2. the skin reinforcement in case of the height of the beam being greater than 750mm. where rebars are placed at the sides of the reinforcement to prevent cracks. 3. the top bars which can either be just here to hold the stirrups together part of a singly reinforced beam or being there on purpose, part of the design making the bar a doubly-reinforced beam. In all cases, including the particular one I am asking, we have the minimum tensile bars at the bottom, stirrups acting as traverse reinforcement and top bars to hold the stirrups together. In my particular case, the same hold true except that the lower part of the beam is cast first with the bottom bars and part of the stirrups. The remaining top is cast together with the slab along with the top part of the stirrup at a later stage. The web or lower part of the beam is even used as formwork/support for the shuttering of the slab.

I have consulted many books on the subject but none of them discuss this methodology used in casting beams. Using AI, I was told that this is called "stage-cast" or composite beam.

AI_Stage-Cast_Beam_bj1a8t.jpg

img ]

Luceid reading in: should you have anything, please let me know. Thanks.

nicolas77 said:
How do we call a beam where the web and bottom bars are cast first (cast-in-situ)
There's no particular name for this beam. Just a beam with concreted casted on different days

nicolas77 said:
The casting is done in two distinct/separate stage days or weeks apart.
Generally speaking, this is not a good practice, but it is done sometimes depending on the design concept. From the one I observed, the beam was designed as rectangular not flange and a ribbed pre-tensioned beam were installed.

nicolas77 said:
So far in handbooks they have singly versus double reinforced beam and rectangular and T or L shaped beam
Reinforcements are provided at tension zones since concrete is good in compression but not in tension. If it's a simply supported beam, then you have tension only at the bottom. For this scenario, you can use only singly reinforced beam (whether T or L or rectangular). If you have a continuous beam with both + and -ve moment (sagging and hogging) then you need doubly reinforced beam. The bottom rebars for +ve moment(sagging) and top rebars for -ve moment (hogging)

nicolas77 said:
should it be singly rectangular with the dimension of the web taken in consideration? Thanks
I'd recommend considering the web only with no flange (including the portion of the slab in the web) in your design. So, if your beam is 450mm deep and your slab is 150mm thick, use 300mm rectangular deep beam for your design. Why? You might not the composite action of the beam and slab, which means you beam system might not behave as T or L.

nicolas77 said:
The web or lower part of the beam is even used as formwork/support for the shuttering of the slab.
Design as rectangular.

nicolas77 said:
I was told that this is called "stage-cast" or composite beam.
Stage cast is a technique of pouring the aggregate first and later adding grout to the concrete member. I consider it as a traditional method and haven't seen it that in North-America (US to be specific. I am guessing you're on a different continent since you're using ACI metric codes)

nicolas77 said:
we have the minimum tensile bars at the bottom
Is minimum required per design or you just provided minimum reinforcement?

Back