Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Category D Welds in Lethal Service Vessels

Status
Not open for further replies.

michigander

Mechanical
Apr 10, 2006
US
Can nozzles be welded into shells or heads of lethal service vessels the "normal" way, for example, in accordance with UW-16.1(e)? Or is it required to be welded in so radiography can be performed on the joint, as shown in, for example, UW-16(f-4)? I am not seeing a requirement for radiography on category D joints, but then again, I may not be looking in the right place.

Thanks in advance,

Michigander.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

michigander,

Can nozzles be welded into shells or heads of lethal service vessels the "normal" way, for example, in accordance with UW-16.1(e)?
Yes. Full penetration corner weld Category D joints are acceptable for lethal service. Radiography for this type of joint is not required.

Thanks so much doct9960. I had reviewed UW-2 and thought I could use this joint style. I just wanted to makle sure there wasn't a potential caveat emptor somewhere else.

Thanks again!

Michigander

Would UW-11(a)(4) require radiography for this case?

Or does the language only apply to the welds IN nozzles, not the welds of nozzles to vessels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back