Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cathodic Pretection Criteria for burried pipelines 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marine/Ocean
Oct 26, 2007
AU
The criteria for the protection of a buried ferrous structure is to maintain a potential on all parts of the structure equal to, or more negative than, -850 mV with respect to a saturated copper/copper sulfate reference electrode.Further we limit the off potentials to -1150 mV to avoid the hydrogen evolution which will have direct impact on the coating of pipelines. As our pipeline is over 40 years old and with tape coating we are having few issues relates to maintaining the right potentials. Some areas of the pipeline we have to go as high as -1450mV On potentials to get the adequate off potentials to protect the pipeline. As the On potential is not considered a valid indicator of hydrogen evolution, is there a limit to ON potential? Any stress on the coating due to the On potential as well? Your feed back is higly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Guys,
Happy new year to all.

The articles which I read so far are not directly addressing my point relates to the "ON" potentials. Can someone forward me the details directly adressing my point?
Many thanks in advance.

Good question, it is the off potential that has been historically used as a measure of protection (or overprotection in this case), as it will be the current that actually reaching the pipe. -1450 mV is not that high for an on potential. The -1150 mV would be the max for the off potential (we use -1200 mV for example). The one thing I would mention is using potentials is not necesarily the best way to measure overprotection, mearly a convinience as it is easy to obtain, the current density would be perhaps more useful. If If you are a member of NACE or plugged into them, Task Group 285 is investigating cathodic overprotection and may have produced some papers or literature. As far as coatings and overprotection, we know about cathodic disbondment tests in the lab and how high potentials seem to accelarate coating disbondment, but in the field tests completed, tests show that this did not seem to be the case, there was no correlation between CP levels and coating disbondment. I beleive it was Worthingham that did a bunch of tests related to this. As far as CP damaging 40 year old coatings, it probably isn't going to do more damage than what is already done to a 40 year old coating. I would be more worried about excessive levels causing hard spots or HIC depending on your environment/steel properties. I don't know if there are any literature that addresses maximum on potentials and overprotection, just some stuff around off potentials and current densities.

If you are worreid about overprotection and want to limit on potentials, I guess you could go to a different criteria rather than -850 off, you could use the 100 mV shift criteria. I don't know waht the regs/company rules you have, but this is described in NACE literature.

Thanks "brimmer" for the above two posts.We have already decided to follow the 100mV criteria for this pipeline. Having said that for certain areas(near compressor stations,foreign crossings etc) we are unable to use 100mV criteria. For my interest I will search into NACE reserch papers relates to this topic. Many thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back