Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cathodic protection for oil and salt water tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

alfyner

Electrical
Apr 25, 2003
VE
Hi,

I'm trying to design an internal Cathodic protection system for oil and salt water storage tanks. I am not sure about how can I choose the adequate anodes. Please if somebody knows a specific case to solve my doubts I'd appeciate your answer. A web page related can be adviced.

Thanks
Alfredo Rubinstein
arubinstein@tecseringenieria.com

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is a lack of information needed for designing a cathodic protection system here. You need to know are there any compartments inside the storage tanks as well as what is the actual wetted surface area, design life and the kind of anode that you require and etc. Some examples are magnesium ribbon anodes, bolt-on type anodes as well as ICCP system.

Thanks dlms;

I am really designing the internal and external corrosion protection of the tanks. But I am not clear about the arrangement of the anodes into the tank, for the oil tank and salt water tank. The anodes for each case must be different?

Service temperature, size, access for water tanks. Please scroll for previous threads on the subject matter.

In General:

Internal Protection:

1. Zinc/Al (sacraficial anodes)
2. Impressed Current for water tanks if access is feasiable.
3. Internal Coating system
3.1 Fibre-Glass (Floating Roof Tanks up to water phase)
3.2 Coal Tar/Phenolic Epoxy (In addition to FB for fixed roofs
to cover the entire tank internals)

External Protection:

4. Impressed Current Grid System
---> Inclusive of half/cells to measure potential
either fixed or portable (perforated PVC tubes on bottom
underside) .

Considerations:

Size, corrosivity, design life, survey intervals, etc...

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back