Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cathodic protection needed? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingfisher85

Civil/Environmental
Dec 21, 2010
US
Hello,
I am designing reinforced concrete abutments for a small (40' span) steel bridge in an environment where the abutments will be intermittently inundated with brackish water. The design life of the bridge is less than 50 years. I am not sure to what degree I should incorporate Cathodic Protection devices (such as some sacrificial plating) into the design. We intend on using a 5 ksi mix with a low water-cement ratio. I found plenty of reference to the utility of these corrosion protection systems, but I have not found any design standards.

Are these systems used very often for small, low traffic bridges?Any insight would be much appreciated.
Thanks,

Jeff

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Cathodic protection systems are not all that common. I would specify a dense concrete, control the quality through specification and inspection, and increase the cover.

A study done in the '80's by a German group on waterfront structures showed that achieving quality concrete and increasing the cover did more to mitigate rebar corrosion than any other procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back