Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Catia 5 to Ansys 6 Model transfer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AQUAMAN0601

Mechanical
Jul 9, 2002
CA
Hey everyone...

I cannot seem to transfer my models from Catia V5R7 to Ansys 6.0.I've tried creating .igs file, .model files. .stl files (Which ansys does not support). step files...with Zero success...Anyone else have this problem and has anyone found a solution.

The modeling package is so poor in Ansys that it will kill me to have to re-creat my models in Ansys!!

Any help would be appreciated...Thanks in Advance!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have heard about this before, they said ANSYS V5R7 has problems with IGES export utility. So i have tried to export model in IGES with V5R8 and success. May be it was a simple model, but i would recommend you to migrate to higher release.

regards

I use Catia V5 r12, and to get a resonable import of an IGES file, but I have to change the export option "Curve and surface type" to "BSpline" in Catia. I'm not sure if the earlier releases have this option... I also have to use the "defeaturing" option for IGES import in Ansys. Otherwise I end up with junk geometry in Ansys.

You could use an external tool as CADFIX to translate any CAD model to Ansys native language. This tool works fine. I use it in my job and results are excellent.
We export it from CADDS5, ProE Wildfire,Catia5v11 & Unigraphics v11 without any problem.
Last realease of CADFIX is v6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back