Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CATIA Electricals "Instantiating Protective Coverings"

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanket123

Mechanical
Dec 23, 2006
IN
Dear All.

Hear is my problem is to create a catalog part for protective coating on wires. i go through the help but that didn't help me much. please some body help me about how to make the catalog part and make use of that.

Thanks In Advance.
Sanket

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How do you make these wire coatings? Are they anything like a circular shape swept along the length of the wire itself?
If so you could make a part with a power copy that accepts the profile, the starting point (and maybe also end point) and the sweep curve from your wire and then in the catalog instantiate from this power copy part.

Hope this makes sense.

-----------------------
Christian Bunes

Just a question before my main post: Is there a way to do this with tubing in V5? I'm not familiar with that feature in V5 myself, so I cannot say for sure, but that would be my best guess that can solve your problem.

I'm not going to explain in full with detailed steps how to make a power copy or a UDF. That you must use the Companion for or go through other tutorials since there just is too much to cover. Basically what you do is make a sketch based on a plane normal to your wire curve centered in a point of said curve. You can even steer your sketch with parameters. Sweep the sketch along the wire curve to create a swept surface with the wire curve as its spine and then use thick on that swept surface to make a solid out of your wire coating. Make the power copy based on the sketch, the swept surface, the thickness feature and the plane and point for the sketch (and also include any parameters if you're using them as well).

If you have the licenses to create UDF's (User Defined Features) instead of power copies I would personally recommend that since it makes your tree much tidier if you have more than one wire in your model. (see attached file for example)

That's a very brief and simple way to create something that can represent your wire coating through a power copy.

Good luck.

-----------------------
Christian Bunes

Christian,

There is a function called Protective Coverings in CATIA V5 Electrical workbench. I guess sanket123 is looking for some information on this function.

Eric N.
indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

It didn't seem like his original question, but I do agree that it sounds more like what he needs to solve his problem. So, sanket123, if you can use that feature instead I'm sure it'll be much easier on your learning curve. Thanks itsmyjob for pointing that out.

-----------------------
Christian Bunes

With ELB license go to Electrical Part Design and click the "Define Protection Part"

download.aspx

Select an empty part and define the parameter you need. Then add the Part to your electrical Catalog.

Eric N.
indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back