Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CATIA GSA FEM Constraint Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lildaveyboy

Aerospace
Feb 3, 2012
US
Hello. I am working on some FEA for plates with a radius in the middle. Please see the attachment. I am wondering if anyone has any opinion on whether or not my contraints are correct. I am fixing the model on one face, applying a load to the opposite face and constraining the bottom face in the Z direction. I am getting what I feel are accurate stresses in the results but I am adding holes in the mid-section on some other models and am getting some odd results when I do that. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

you might try constraining the upper face instead of the lower face (in Z). constraining the lower face prevents the reduced thickness from bowing up (as it tries to align the NA with the unreduced section NA).

what do your results look like ? why "odd" ?

FWIW, i think it's better not to post .ppt slides, post the .jpg.

FWIW2, i think you should get a better FEA ! I think CATIA GPS is limited in how it lets you model. i would rather see the far edge constrained in X (rather than fixed) opposing the applied X load. a face constrained in Z reacts 3 rigid body motions, a face constrained in X also reacts 3 (but one is the same as a Z reaction) and a single point Y restaint is sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back