Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CATIA Knowledge Advisor - Rule for hole type

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomasGSX

Automotive
Feb 23, 2022
GB
Hello all,

I am trying to change the hole type using a parameter with values CLEARANCE and COUNTERBORE. The result should be a simple hole with a given diameter when CLEARANCE is selected and then change the hole type from simple to Counterbore if COUNTERBORE is selected.

My first action was to create a string parameter named "HOLE TYPE" with multiple values (i.e CLEARANCE and COUNTERBORE) and set a rule in Knowledge Advisor with "if" command line for this parameter. The issue is that I cannot seem to find a way to change the hole type. I can change parameters like diameter, depth, etc but not type.

Is my approach wrong or what is the best way to achieve the result I'm looking for?

Regards,
Thomas

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For the type SimpleHole,
SimpleHole_tbac7t.jpg
there is a parameter called Bottom Angle and one called Bottom Type
Syntax:
BottomType as Long
= 0, the hole bottom is flat
= 1, the hole bottom is conic

Example
HoleBottomType = UserHole.BottomType
UserHole.BottomType = 0

regards,
LWolf

Thanks for your reply LWolf,

Unfortunately I just started using the Knowledgeware feature in CATIA, mainly Knoledge Advisor so I'm new to this. I noticed there is also Knowledge Expert and found where your print screen is coming from. I tried bringing your example into Advisor without success. Are you using Advisor or Expert for this and if you would be kind enough to share an example on how to write the rule correct for this application?

Capture_wospo5.png

Much appreciate,
Thomas

Sure; I have a string parameter, HoleType, with values "CounterBore" and "Clearance"
in my rule, I wrote:
Code:
if HoleType=="CounterBore"
	PartBody\TestHole.BottomType ="V_Bottom"
if HoleType=="Clearance"
	PartBody\TestHole.BottomType ="Flat"

regards,
LWolf

Thank you again,

I tried the rule above as you mentioned, but it doesn't seem to do anything between when changing the parameter from clearance to counterbore or vice-versa.

This is what I would like to achieve, change from simple hole type to counterbore type

Capture_zjdzhu.png

Regards,
Thomas

Apologies,

The rule works, I had CounterBore parameter as "Counterbore" (with b instead of B). Now it works fine, but would like to have a Counterbore hole as shown above instead of a hole with a bottom angle.

Regards,
Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back