Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Catia Mouse to work like SW

Status
Not open for further replies.

engjeff

Automotive
Apr 24, 2007
US
We have a new employee who has used Solid Works for quite a few years. Is there a way to change the mouse properties in Catia to function like Solid Works?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Middle-Mouse-Button = Rotate
[Ctrl] + Middle-Mouse-Button = Pan
[Shift] + Middle-Mouse-Button = Zoom
If mouse is over the Graphics Window: Scroll-Wheel = Zoom
If mouse is over the Feature Tree Window: Scroll-Wheel = Scroll the Tree

Note: The Feature Tree in SolidWorks is always in a separate Window (whether you're in a Drawing, Part, or Assembly file).

All that 2-finger mouse clicking and the click/tap required by Catia is very frustrating if you've ever ran SolidWorks. Personally, my shoulder hurt for days after switching to Catia (before I got a SpaceBall).

Don't know if you can map a user defined mouse control but there is already a single mouse click approach with keyboard.

Middle-Mouse-Button/[Alt]+Right-Mouse-Button/[Ctrl]+Arrow keys = Pan
[Shift] + Middle-Mouse-Button = Zoom
Middle-Mouse-Button +[Shift]/[Shift]+Arrow keys = Rotate
If mouse is over the Graphics Window: Scroll-Wheel = Scroll the Tree
[Ctrl] + Scroll-Wheel = Zoom the Tree

Arrow keys over geometry = Starts element filtering mode

There are some more but they require double mouse click operation, like: [Ctrl]+[Tab] to switch between catia windows

You can open the Tree in a separate window also, I use it with my dual screen workstation. Right click on the top node of the tree and choose "open sub-tree" and back in the graphic window hit F3 to hide the original tree.

I understand what you're after now. My best advice is as brengine says about the SpaceBall/Mouse to get one of those. In my opinion it is by far a much better option and kinder to your wrists/arms.

Like azrael says there are options to the catia two-mouse-button-combinations but however you look at it it's still different from SW, so it'll take some getting used to anyway.

Why Dassault decided to make two CAD systems that are so different in the basic functions beats me (not to mention file format compatibility), but that's unfortunately the reality.

-----------------------
Christian Bunes

CBunes - file format compability between SW and V5 is due to two different modeling kernels, SW still use parasolid and catia has its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back