Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Catia Product grouping parts in a view

Status
Not open for further replies.

ubengineer

Aerospace
May 8, 2014
US
I have a Product with hundreds of parts inside of it. I would like to group products together to hide and show everything else. some components(parts) are used in multiple setups or scenario. For example if I had a product of a car I want to be able to view all the drive train components and hide everything else. I do not know if this is called layers or scenes or what. Can someone please help me out.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
Create a product called driveline components and put all the parts inside it. Select this product and hide. If the same parts are avaialble in different products then goto ctrl+f ....search the part no and select and hide.

Hope it helps.

You could use overload properties on the view and hide the elements you don't want (you can jump to product and select products / parts).

Or you could modify links on the view.

Probably better than hiding elements in the product itself to generate your view as the above methods will remember your setting when you update.

I think Scene's will do this too but not something I've used for quite sometime.

Ferdo- the problem is I don't know always what part goes to what. When I do this I would set it up once and then be able to see what is used on this setup
sudhakarn- FYI I'm not actually doing automotive parts that was just a quick example. In addition the product is already set up with Hundreds of parts inside of it and majority of the parts inside the fixture are shared between the product setups. So to redo the product and make a new one would be very time consuming in addition as mentioned most of the items are the same.
evereux- can you explain this more in detail (step by step) on how to do this.

Hi

ubengineer, I was supposing you know the structure/architecture of your product. When you hide all products/components in your open CATIA session, all your assemblies will be hidden, including their parts.

Now, if you know the name/number of what you want to see, this can be put in shown, including the parts inside so you will have what you want. All this can be done very simple in macro, first part hide all assemblies then pick in specification tree what you want to put in show and all is done.

What evereux proposed is good when you are working in drafting workbench but you didn't specify nothing about this. Also, you didn't specify what is intention, just to see/work and inspect an assembly, create scenes in order to use them later or something else?

Regards
Fernando

If that helps, you could group those components with "insert component" function: this will allow you to hide sets of parts, without creating new physical file.

If you are trying to hide them on some viewports and on others not - then you have to use scenes for that

Ferdo,
My intention is when I open the product that has many "setups" (which share 75% of the same parts) and pick which setup I want to see. I would use it to see what Setup 1 looks like, by maybe just hide everything else and see that. I also may not know what parts are needed in Setup 1 and by grouping them together and hiding everything else I can see what parts are used in this Setup 1.
So if we were talking cars, each car model comes in different trims levels such as a Jeep wrangler comes in Se, Sport, Sahara, Rubicon. they are all Wranglers so majority of the parts are the same but things like the transmission are different.
Each transmission has different parts inside them but some parts are shared. My issue is all these "Transmissions" are in one Wrangler product. I may want to open the product up and see what the Sport looks like but I don't know which transmission parts go with the Sport model. I want to group all the parts that go with one transmission together (such as making a sub product) so I can view them together. The reason it was not done this way is because some "sub products/Transmissions" share the same parts, and the Original person who made the product file didn't want to either take the time do import the same thing or didn't want to have multiple of the same part that is shared.
That is what I am trying to do and why I want to do it. I hoped that helped.

Greg F.

This is like Configuration Management for the airplanes (and not only)...but you need to know each product structure for each configuration. Without knowing your components/products/parts list for each configuration it will be difficult for you to see what will go where...maybe just identifying one by one ? I wouldn't have such patient and time...and I can't see another alternative.

After this identification you can use indeed scenes (or some programming, which will make your life easier even to create those scenes). Hope I understood well you are taking about 3D and nothing related with 2D.

That's why is good to use for data management a PLM system, you can avoid such kind of situations.

Regards
Fernando

Ferdo,
I don't mind taking the time to go through all the configurations (1 Time) to just set this up. Can you explain how to setup and use scenes as I have tried and don't seem to get anywhere.
Also can you explain the data management or a PLM system maybe I can get IT to install it and I could get it started.

m1mason,
I don't have Digital Mockup /DMU Navigator

You could use captures or scenes at the highest product level. Create one that shows all parts then several others to hide off the parts you don't want. Then toggle in between them when you need to.

Give Scenes a try, It would be my solution.
Open our top level product.
Scenes toolbar> Enhanced Scene> Name it something that makes sense to you.
The background color will change so that you know you are in a scene.
Make things hidden/visible from the tree that you want to see in this option.
Exit scene.
After you exit the scene, everything should look the same as it did before you created the scene.

(if you have multiple bodies within one catpart, you cannot make some bodies visible and some not.
It looks only at toggling full catpart as visible/hidden. The catpart may have multiple bodies, and bodies that are hidden will remain hidden)

Make all your scenes, they will be visible at the bottom of your tree under applications.

When you are in a scene, you have options to move parts around, that would only be moved within the scene.
If you do this be careful NOT to hit the button labled "apply scene to assembly" Scenes are also good for making an exploded view.

Drawing >>
Now if you want to show only a scene in a certain view(s) you generate your view as you normally would.
Then RMB on the view name from the tree, then xxxx view object > modify links.
A dialog window will open, now go to your product (already opened) that has the scene in it, select the scene from the tree and go back to the drawing.
Next to the "add all" button you should see the scene name, hit add all. Now the pointed element should show the scene name instead of "whole assembly".
Update the view.
Any views created from this view will automatically have the same scene applied.
If you ever want to remove the scene from a view, then RMB on the view name from the tree, then xxxx view object > modify links > select the scene name and hit remove, it should change back to whole assembly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back