Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Catia R20 Dimensioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillBailey

Automotive
Dec 12, 2012
US
So I'm trying to dimension a section cut of a wheel. I try to put majority of my dimensions at the top of the profile, but why does my leader point to the bottom? Even if I try to put an intersection point, the resulting point will be at the bottom of the profile. I can mirror the stuff up just fine, but I shouldn't need to do this. Has anyone ran into this problem before?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you're working on a drawing, and if you're trying to dimension to circles, often the extension lines anchor to the center of the circle instead of the arc. If this is the case, try creating a new dimension, but while the dimension is still active hold down the CTRL key and drag the yellow diamonds to a different anchor.

Instead of having us guess at what the problem is, make a dummy file and send us a picture of that.

Here is an example. Hopefully I can attach the file.

I will click on radius A, but the leader will terminate at radius B location. I'm not able to move it from B to A.
I can also try to make an intersection point using Line 1 and Line 2, the point will be created by Line 3 and Line 4 instead.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=bff90b54-d479-4c55-9117-579fe94bb641&file=EXAMPLE_PROBLEM.CATDrawing
If the problem your talking about is the one shown here
getfile.aspx
it is because of your drafting standards.

Normally, for consistency between all users of company, the standards are the same for all users. (that way one user can't draw with a different font than an other one. )

If you log yourself as admin, you can change your settings (tool, standard) in order to change your default settings. I believe you can verify on this forum for the exact way to do it.

Thanks for the file showing the exact problem. But, I don't have the same problems as you. (I'm using V5R21)

1. I'm able to dimension Radius A, with the dimension appearing on the top.

2. I'm able to create the Point on the top between Lines 1 & 2 (I had to constrain it coincident to the two lines).

It seems that you are in some kind of "symmetry mode" that I've never seen before. I think it has to do with your settings. Do other users where you work have the same problem?

Some things to try:
1. run the CATDUA to clean the drawing file
2. exit CATIA, delete your CATSettings, and restart CATIA and try again.
3. It might be the drafting standard as Supergee suggested. Use FILE + Page Setup to use a different standard (looks like you're using ISO which should be good)

If you guys/gals used the example I sent, you shouldn't have the problem I have. I drafted that up to give yall an idea of my problem. The file that I'm actually using won't let me dimension or create points on the top part (Radius A, or Line 1 and Line 2 in the example).

I will check my settings, and see what I can do. Thanks for the feedback all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back