Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Catia V5 and UG NX

Status
Not open for further replies.

rossly

Automotive
Sep 22, 2003
US
Being a UG user for sometime and seeing how V5 is finally moving in, what are some thoughts as to the similarities from the design side. I have seen some training stuff on V5 but have not worked on it. To me they are almost the same, I would assume the model creation is also similar. Are these fair assumtions or am I all wet?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I haven't used UG since version 15 I think, but what I remember is that the two are similar in some respects. They both use sketches to define shafts and pads. One of the biggest differences you are going to find is the terminology and icon differences from one software to the next. I am sure that some of the methodology is going to be slightly different also.

Catia is set up to have a master model or part (catpart) and then linked files for drawings (catdrawings). Each part (catpart), is meant to have only 1 body, assemblies are to be done in a assembly model (catproduct). But what I remember about UG, it was recommended that you use a master model, but you were able to create drawings in the same file as the part was in.

Another thing, if you are used to being able to do radial sectioning in drafting, you aren't able to do that in Catia V5.

Good Luck!

I have used UG up to 18 and now a fulltime V5 driver in both
surfacing, solid modeling, drafting and NC programming.

There are similarity's between the two systems, but I think that UG has a stronger system right now. V5 is still in the "development" stages from what I have seen, there are many bugs still that need to be worked out. One thing that V5 does not have is layering, they use open body's for surfacing and partbodys for solids. It was hard to let go of the layers I used in UG.

The cam side of the two systems is a different story, Catia is not very strong in NC programming, they lack good tool axis control and you are required to create too much geometry for simple toolpaths.

Good luck.

Thanks for the input, from what I have seen they are similar. For me, I love UG but if there is a move to V5 then I want a jump on the competition, that's all.

Hello Rossly,

I have been a CATIA user for 14 years in aerospace industry from v3 up to v5 (currently a developer), used UG-9 to UG-NX, licensed for Pro-E. I have to tell you .. you must get started in CATIA v5 to get onto a better future. The demand will be very high in late '04 with high paying jobs. You think you love UG but you will never come back to it once you use CATIA v5. It is so powerful no one have mastered it for the past few years since it started. You will have a easier time to learn v5 since its structure is similar to NX. Good luck !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back