Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CATIA V5 CAA versus VBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

mb77

Aerospace
Jun 23, 2003
AU
I'm relatively new to CATIA V5 and I'm just starting to learn VBA programming in V5.

However, it seems that it is not possible to write event-driven code in the VBA interface (i.e. code to execute with a user saves a file). All the reading I've done seems to indicate that CAA is required for this... but as I understand CAA is for writing CATIA addon products to be marketed and sold (with a nice % going to Dassault!!)

As I only want to write applications to support the in-house processes at work... but some of them are fairly complicated.

Can someone suggest the best possible way for me to do this.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi mb77
unfortunately for you I will not give you any answer cause I have none , sorry but I d like to know if you could help me with Catia since it s very new to me. (1 week)
I' d like to know how to create a macro?
Do I have to use the software Visual Basic or the VB editor inside Catia V5?

I have pieces of programming (some code) but it dosn t work.For example I simply try to open Catia with VB but the program seems to be ok but Catia does not open.
If you can help me, pls do.Thx

You can write in-house applications with CAA. It's expensive and requires a lot of training/learning. We started it, but I don't know yet how to get something to trigger on file save. I would like to do that myself.

Thanks morexyz, but am I correct in surmising that it is impossible to do event-driven code without the CAA product?

Sorry I took so long to reply, mb77.
I think you do need CAA to respond to events like file save.
You can use Knowledgeware/VB to respond to changes in a feature or parameter.

The only way I can think of to do this without Rade would be to create your own save interface in VB. Then you could drive off those events. The only dialog available in vba is the input dialog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back