Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

CATIA V5 drawing won't update after part replace 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbtruckers

Computer
Jan 23, 2008
US
I have an assembly/2D drawing that I received from a customer. One of the parts in the assembly needs replaced with a similar part and sent back to the customer. I opened the drawing and did a 'Save Management' - the drawing and assembly were saved to a new folder and the rest of the files were propogated using the original names. I closed the original drawing and opened the product located in the new folder. The new part was also located in this folder - I used it to replace the old part and saved. When I open the new drawing, the rebuild icon is grayed-out and the old part is still shown on the print. However, if I add a view based on the new geometry, all of the parts are updated and correct.

I'm not getting any kind of error like "drawing refuses link". I can't figure out where my mistake is and any help would be greatly appreciated. I was hoping this project would take about an hour but it took me all day! Thanks again.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Catia identifies each part and product with a UUID number (Universal Unique IDentifier). If the drawing does not update this tells me that the part/product is a new part and not a modified version of the part you currently have tagged in the drawing. I get around this by creating a product then inserting the supplier data into that product. Then I create the drawing from that product as the parent.

Regards,
Derek

Win XP64
R20/21, 3DVIA Composer 2012, ST R20
Dell T7400 16GB Ram
Quadro FX 4800 - 1.5GB

Glad to hear it was merely some locked views, but DBeziare makes a good point. I'm a little dismayed that you have to go through that work-around to feel comfortable with both the need for uniqueness in your parts (unique UUIDs) and interchangeability of a drawing's part reference.

Somehow it's anything from an elegant system CATIA V5 has going on, I wonder if V6 is more user friendly in this regard?

Certified SolidWorks Professional

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back