Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CATIA V5: How to create points equal distant from both ends of a curve

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctlstevens

Automotive
May 31, 2002
CA
I have cut a multiple sections through a part. I need to create points 3mm from each end of the section curves. Currently, I'm selecting the curve, and creating one point. Then, I re-select the curve, reverse directions and create the second point. I'm hoping someone has a suggestion for a one step method.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you're looking for something similar to the offset feature in sketcher where you can offset in both directions or something like "mirrored extend" I don't think you can do that with what you describe.

You could try to make script to make the points for you.

How many do you need to make?

I'm creating CMM inspection points. I have cut sections every 100mm (in both the xz and yz planes) on a part that measures roughly 1500mm by 600mm. There is a lot of form to the panel and I will need 2 points (3 mm from each end) on every significant surface on every section line. To answer your question, that works out to having to create hundreds of points. I'd consider a script, but I've not written any before and was hoping for a quick fix.

I agree, Power Copy.

That will make it go faster, but still manual input. Can you post your file with an example of the two points?

I seems like your powercopy would have two inputs, a line and the endpoint. And then I would generate the two points. That would be very easy to do.

On second though, maybe a script makes sense due to the large amount of points needed.

It would easy to do, but it depends on how your part is made..If I make a script, I tend to design the part for the script so I can get easy control of what I'm trying to manipulate.

Unfortunately, the car isn't on the road yet so I can't post the part. Imagine any 3D object - your telephone for example. Now, imagine a section cut through the phone. For every flat (or nearly flat) surface, put two points on that segment of the section line, 3mm from the tangent at each end. You would end up with points all around the phone on pretty much every surface. I'm not familiar with the powercopy function, but the points I'm trying to create will be constant in one axis but will not be common in the other two. I.e. If the section was cut at X=500, for example, the Y and Z values will fluctuate from point to point and from section to section. The form of the part is pretty complex.

not sure if this will work, but might be worth a try:

create an offset surface (or offset plane) at each end of the sections. then intersect both offsets with all the section curves to create all the points in one step.

Use the "extract" feature with tangency continuity selected, to extract a joined curve. Then, offset it inwards along your surface(s), (use the surface as your support) which you will have already joined. Use the "parallel curve" function to offset the curve by your desired distance, and intersect the reultant 1 piece curve with all of your cross sectional curves.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Catia Design|Catia Design News|Catia V5 blog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back