Catia V5 - ICEM Aero Expert Lofting Issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN1981

Aerospace
Sep 29, 2015
IN
Hi,
Saw a few videos of Catia V5 ICEM Aero Expert lofting feature and seemed lot more capable compared to Multi-Section Surfs from GSD.

May be I am doing it wrong but after lofting a surface using ICEM Aero Expert, I am noticing small gaps (deviation from profiles/guides curves) between adjacent surfaces.

I extracted a curve from adjacent surface and used it as profile and gave the surface as support (with G2 continuity) while lofting. Still I am noticing small gaps. It seems like the resulting loft surface is not respecting or following the profile. Seems like it has created small deviations from the profile and hence gaps between lofted & adjacent surface.

I will try to post images later (probably tomorrow) but if anyone has experience in resolving the above issue, would appreciate any pointers. I really liked the quality of the lofted surface (Multi-Section for the same profiles & sketch gave me not so good quality surface) except for the boundary continuity issues.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Used Heal command to join surfaces and obtain continuity. Not the choice I wanted to take. May be in future, would try to avoid creating surfaces using the lofting feature from this workbench. Strange since Dassualt Systems advertises this module as having capability to create high-quality surfaces for aerodynamic applications.

you said:
Still I am noticing small gaps

Did you measure / analyze the gap? Sometimes we have representation (what you see on the screen) accuracy problem which are not topology (the real geometry) problem

Eric N.
indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

I found out about gaps when I was doing a Zebra analysis of the different surfaces. Was caught by surprise about gaps since I expected G2 continuity between them. Good thing about this ICEM Aero Expert loft operation is that, it can produce high quality surfaces between quite complex profiles & guides combination which sometimes GSD Multi-Section fails to generate output.

I agree with itsmyjob above.... before you go too far, make sure the gap is real and not just the graphic settings on your computer. I learnt that one the hard way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back