Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CATIA V5 - R18 through R21 - Fit-All-In Zooms too small

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmarkus

Mechanical
Jul 11, 2001
CA
When I try to zoom to the extents of my model I get a lot of empty space around it. I can manually zoom (zoom area) and still see the whole model but bigger - which is what I expect when I do a "zoom all" (Fit All In). Is something limiting the zoom to 60% of the screen real estate (guesstimate percentage)

Thanks,
Jeff

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Look for some geometry outside the model near the screen limits, and delete it. (might be some extra points or lines)

If you don't see anything, try using an Outside Trap to select the extra geometry.

you probabiliy can't see it.

try to select by trap in the empty space until you catch anything... or put the geometry you see in no show then fit all in again... untill you see something

Eric N.
indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

I would think there has to be something that could be found as described above, but if not you could just create cameras (named view) on what you want to see. You wouldn't use "fit all in" anymore but it would work.

Nick

Light structural commercial aircraft parts
PCDMIS 4.3 CAD++, CATIA V5 R20
APM Consortium Inc.
Cambridge Ontario, Canada

Nick,

I would think there is something there too, but I can't find it and I have this problem with just about every part or product I load. I can't use cameras because I am trying to create a generic script that will properly full zoom any document I am working with. Maybe there is a hidden variable somewhere that can be set?

(Grasping at straws here...)

Jeff

Can you post a file for us that exhibits this behaviour?

Nick

APM Consortium Inc.
Ontario, Canada

I can't send any of the actual files I am working with and OF COURSE when I try to sanitize or create my own file, I can't duplicate the problem.

Since ultimately I am creating an image file and I am just trying to get rid of the "white space" around the file, I've decided to use "ImageMagick\convert.exe -trim +repage" to accomplish what I want using a different method.

Thanks,
Jeff

Now I won't be able to sleep at night...

Nick

APM Consortium Inc.
Ontario, Canada

ok let me try again...

put everything in show and let say you know the geometry is around the origin of the file.

Do a Fit All In

Origin goes on one side of the screen

Make a trap and select the area around the geometry near the origin.
Change selection to no show

do a Fit All In

case 1: the zoom does not change and you don't see much on your screen.

you still have some element in show away from each other, use Search (on visible element) to find them or look at your tree.

case 2: the zoom does change and now you focus on some tiny elements

well in this case you're looking at what you search.

Please help us understand. Make sure all element are pickable.

Also check Tools/Option/General/Display // Performance : level of detail = 0, Pixel Culling = 0

Eric N.

I tried ITSMYJOB'S suggestion to no avail. BUT I was able to create a file that I can share and show the issue. I have attached a V5R18 CATPart and 2 images. One shows what FIT-ALL-IN looks like, one shows what I think it should look like.

CATPart:

WHAT IT IS:

WHAT IT SHOULD BE:

(Hopefully the links work)
Thanks,
Jeff

Welp, I loaded your part up and "fit all in"'d it. Mine came out just as your "What it is" picture showed.

I made a sketch of a rectangle similar to yours (almost full width of my screen) and fit all in did the same. This is normal behaviour. All of my parts have about this much space when fit all in'd.

I cannot find a setting for it in options. I know NX has this adjustability.

I don't think I'd want my geometry zoomed up to the edges anyway. That's where my toolbars are.

Nick

APM Consortium Inc.
Ontario, Canada

I have 2 screens with different ratio, one standard and one 16/9 kinda... moving CATIA from one to the other and doing Fit all In gives me the same result on both screen. It seems this function is not optimized for 'large' screen.

Eric N.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back