Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Catia V5 Sweep and Spine 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Webbo1981

Aerospace
Dec 13, 2011
GB
Hello

Apologies in advance for the novice question here but can anyone explain to me what a 'Spine' does when sweeping a profile

For example if I am sweeping a profile with two guide curves what's the need for a Spine. What does the Spine do?

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello Webbo1981,

One use a Spine when needs to control the orientation of the "Swiped-Profile".
Swiped-Profile is the projection of your Profile on a plane perpendicular to the Spine.

I hope it helps.

-GEL
Imposible is nothing.

a spine curve for a swept surface is like... the base fundation of your surface.

it is used by swept surface and mutli section surface.

A good spine does usually provide a better quality surface than the default computation by CATIA.

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+​

Here you have 1 profile, it migth be planar or 3D, but let say it is planar.

if you do not define a spine, CATIA will compute one for you, easy.

if you define one, here is how it works
[sub]as I understand it.[/sub]

the spine is used to define a plane.
think about a plane normal to the spine that moves along the spine.
let say your profile is on one of that plane.
and your guide curves each create only 1 intersection pt on the plane (at the extremities of your profile curve)

When the plane moves along the spine, the intersection point moves on the plane and define the new extremities for your curve (according to swept curve option)

requirements:
I like when the profile is planar, as it is a requirement for me to uderstand the result surface.
The spine curve cannot create a loop and need to have continuity in tangency. Continuity in curvature will usually give better surface...

If the profile curve is not planar or the spine curve not normal to the profile, then something is wrong, but V5 will give you a surface.
V4 will just tell you the spine is not compatible.
I like V4 better as V5 is giving me a surface I have some problem to explain.

I know about my profile, my guide but what should I use as a spine?

Make it easy, first check if a line would do the job, if not, maybe another easy planar curve, like a arc, or a spline could do the job.

If that do not work, then go for a 3D spine.

the spine will impact the result surface and isoparams

download.aspx

Eric N.
indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back