Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Catia V5-What is the best way to cut a section in an assembly and actually modify the section? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

With the Space Analysis license, you can save Sections with Assemblies. (You can also have more than 1 Section.) So, after the assembly and the parts are modified, the saved Section should update based on the changes.

You can do something similar with Section Views on a drawing, but not as easy.

One smart way to to it (and also dynamic) is to make a separate parametric part with some sketches containing just a line, exactly as you would do in drafting. You need to make this part and the sketches inside parametric so the lines always move with the parts of interest in your assembly.

Then just go back in drafting, click on section view and then Ctrl + Tab (to switch window) to your 3D part or assembly and click one of the lines.

You can also make aligned sections if you use a "bended" sketch.

This works like a charm when you have skeleton parts when you can parametrize everything.

Also, @jackk, this works with any license I think.

Best regards,

Costin Ruja

Best regards,
Costin Ruja

Hi (Buna!) Costine,

You're right: OP wanted something else.
I have a Catia license that doesn't allow me to save the section view in Assembly workbench:

image_dw1oeq.png

But your reply was very interesting, despite the initial intention of the owner.

CAD 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back