Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CATIA V5R16 - License with 64 Bit workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.

natester

Automotive
Aug 12, 2002
US
I now have a new work station to setup. It is a 64 bit INTEL Xeon with XP professional. My license and files are on a server running window 2000 server. I have installed CATIA V5R16 on the new work station, however, CATIA is not finding the license. On my older workstation (32 bit)it seems like all I did was to install CATIA and go. Any ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you running XP32 or XP64?
You need to run the LUM to configure the licenses.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
Sr IS Technologist
L-3 Communications

Could you post what type of machine you are coming from/going to and what typical work you do?

Have you done any real benchmarks, or it just "feels" faster?

Just thought it might help those trying to evaluate making the jump to 64bit.

The workstation is a Dell Presision 690. It is a 64 bit with dual core with 3.0GHz Intel Xeon processors. I have not made any benchmarks at this time. Right now I am focused on installing all of the software. Next week I can likely reply with a benchmark. I will likely use Pro/ENGINEER.

Dual Core and dual processor mean nothing to Catia. I would suspect that you are used to a sluggish x86 system, because all the "speed" is based on a single processor, unless you are running certain DMU or FEA apps, as has been discussed at length in the past.

Overall, I'm very pleased with 64 bit Catia, although I don't base it on actual benchmarks - just actual use. However, I could not be UNhappier about the choice of operating system. X64 has been a nightmare in terms of finding drivers for certain devices, namely anything wireless. (that's only ONE example)

-----------------------------------------------------------
Catia Design|Catia Design News|Catia V5 blog

By the way, Natester - you mentioned your operating system was XP Professional. If it is not 64 bit edition, your machine may be 64 bit capable, but you are in no wise running 64 bit. Also, you did not mention 64 bit Catia, only 64 bit hardware. Did you mean to say that you are using 64 bit Catia?

Sorry if I misunderstood you...

solid7,

Could you kindly suggest what type of computer would best suit the 64 bit Catia? I plan to convince my management to make the switch but I would like to be armed with some data.ie what type video card, processor etc

I apologize but I am not really a "computer" person, and have limited knowledge in this area. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
thixoguy

Hey, thixoguy.

Personally, we use - and like - AMD Opteron. Our machines are IBM Intellistation A Pro. However, these are very expensive machines, and unless you buy older model or refurb, you won't have much luck convincing management to go for this.

I don't have enough experience with 64 bit on anything else to give much of an opinion. But here is one of our setups: (my favorite) Dual 2.8GHz AMD Opteron, 4GB RAM/processor, Nvidia Quadro FX4500 video. The AMD machines don't have as high of a clockspeed as Intel, but their architecture doesn't require the higher number for the same performance. Plus, no front side bus, because the memory is directly accessed by the processor. The dual processor doesn't do anything for Catia performance, but it is nice for running multiple apps with no system slowdown. (or multiple Catia sessions)

I'm afraid you'll have to ask someone else for Intel advice. Probably that's the better bet for budget. The AMD's are about 2-3 times more expensive than a comparable Intel. But they are ideal for 64 bit computing.

thixogy - just make sure that whatever decision you make, you really get all the rights components.

As I said earlier, 64 bit Catia requires 3 things:

1) hardware with 64 bit architecture
2) a 64 bit OS
3) 64 bit Catia

This may seem like the obvious, but a lot of people seem to overlook at least a couple of these...

Also, when I noted that the dual processors (or dual core) don't do anything for Catia performance, I was only talking about Catia not being coded for dual processor. 64 bit Catia has some distinct advantages for performance. There's no noticeable gain on basic tasks, but for long part trees, DMU, and file translations, there is night and day difference.

solid7,

The Dassault Website has a huge list of certified computer configurations,I will have my IT people reference them.

Thanks again, I'll let you know how things work out.

thixoguy

1. Of course the operating system is 64 bit. Why would anyone purchase 64 bit architecture and use a 32 bit operating system? It was purchased as a dual core in consideration of some other software applications that I do not have today.

2. The CATIA installation on this computer is V5R16, 64 bit.

3. The Pro/ENGINEER installation on this computer is Wildfire 3.0 - M070, 64 bit.

I am not really using this computer at this time due to the fact that there is many other applications that need to be installed at this time.

1. Of course the operating system is 64 bit. Why would anyone purchase 64 bit architecture and use a 32 bit operating system?

That's a pretty silly, question, to be quite honest. Why not? It happens all the time. Especially given the fact that most new hardware is 64 bit capable, and Operating systems like Vista and x64 have proven, as of yet, to be a pretty big disappointment. It is not at all unreasonable to think that MANY people or companies may be buying 64 bit hardware, yet using 32 bit operating systems.

This may be even more true in large companies where migration is an issue. (isn't that right, catiajim?) [smile]

We are running a large number of 64 bit workstations under 32 bit OS and apps. We do this because the apps (and the OS, I guess) are not yet fully functional, but we want to be prepared when they are. We have around 1500 CATIA workstations, all on 3 year rotating leases. I want to be positioned to turn everyone (or almost everyone) on to 64 bit at the same time - I don't want to have to figure out who needs 64 bit and who can live without.

Thixoguy,

Dell sent me a 64bit to try before you buy. Dual Xeon with 16Gb ram Quadro 4500 w/512mb. 72GB (I believe) Scsi drive. The only Dell in the company (IBM people). Works great. I can spec things out, but that is not how it works at my place of business. You put a request in, sometimes things show up.

Regards,
Derek

DBezaire,

The IT people are getting me some quotes, I'll mention the try before you buy scenario you suggested. Perhaps before I finalize any order I'll post what I'm getting and solid7 and yourself can advise. Thanks for input, it is always appreciated.

thixoguy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back