Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Catia V5R20 - Multi-Section Solid Definition 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAD2015

Computer
Jan 21, 2006
US
Hi,
How could I move the Closing and/or Section (points) in order to get the right Multi-Section Solid Definition feature?
At the moment, the solid given is twisted........
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To avoid the twist between sections, make sure the red arrow is pointing in the same clockwise/counter-clockwise direction for all the sections. Also, use Closing Points to determine the starting point on each section.

For more control, add more Coupling Points.

For the most control, make a Multi-Section Surface first (GSD2 workbench, and then use CloseSurface to convert it into a solid.

Double pick the multi section solid
Right click over Sketch.1 or sketch.2 in the Multi Section Solid Definition dialog box
replace closing point
pick new corner vertex.

Win XP64
R20/21, 3DVIA Composer 2012, ST R20
Dell T7400 16GB Ram
Quadro FX 4800 - 1.5GB

Not in this case as we are using the vertex point. Sometimes you will 3D points created in the GSD (Generative Shape Design) module to control your closing point. Also the Coupling tab will give different results depending on your choice of Ratio, Tangency, Tangency then curvature, Vertices.

Win XP64
Dell T7400 16GB Ram
Quadro FX 4800 - 1.5GB

OK.
One last question: Are the Section and Closing points placed based on the area where the Multi-Section Solid Definition' sketches are selected by user?
Thanks again.

The closing points are arbitrary points that Catia picks. No real logic to them, sometimes it will work out that you do not have to reassign a closing point.

Win XP64
Dell T7400 16GB Ram
Quadro FX 4800 - 1.5GB

Derek, thanks for helping out with this one. I'm still running R18, and can't easily access R20. Would be nice if attachment was just a screen shot, instead of the CATPart file.

When i teach MSS, I always show this thing with replacing the closing point. The closing point in a sketch is where you start drawing your profile, and sincne we usually sketch more or less in the same manner this is very seldom a problem. But see what happens when a left-handed person sketch one sketch and a right-handed person sketch the other one, it will probably be two sketches where the closing point has to be replaced.

OGabriel,
What MSS stands for? Do you teach Catia only?
Where do you teach?
Have a website or publicize any Catia training materials?
I was impressed by your reply to my post..........!

MZ7DYJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back