Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Catia with Vista 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rossly

Automotive
Sep 22, 2003
US
Has anyone used upgraded to Vista and using V5? Just wondering if there are any issue before I make a switch.

Ross Parpart
Product Design Engineer
UGS NX3/CATIA V5R15

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's my understanding that it is usable, but there are issues as far as removing and re-installing V5 when you do it. If you buy a new Computer with Vista already loaded, it works fine....

Being "useable" and being "supported" are two different things. There have been no Catia releases which are designated for Vista. Therefore, if you install Catia on Vista, you should not expect to receive any help. Dassault/IBM will not help you, and most likely not many users will, either.

Every set of media for Catia installation is OS specific, and there have not been any Vista releases yet. You are almost certainly asking for some flavor of trouble if you install Catia on a Vista machine at this point in time.

Be patient. Wait for the right tool for the job.

What's more - if you've used a computer for any amount of time, you should know better than to rush into a brand new OS. Why not wait to see what the major issues are, and think a little harder about it around SP1 or so? All the preliminary data indicates that there are problems with Vista, especially as it pertains to OpenGL enabled applications.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Catia Design|Catia Design News|Catia V5 blog

We actually messed with installing Vista on a machine at work. We couldnt get it to install so we just copied a the directory in to the machine and it works. Its a little buggy but I agree with Solid7. Be patient and wait when microsoft launches a new O/S in a sense we are the beta testers so let everyone else work out the bugs. :)

Guys, thanks for the input. I am on the side of waiting. Just was wondering if anything was brave enough...

Its not just about new OS / new bugs!

Vista doesn't properly support OpenGL, the graphics language used by Catia. Instead MS opted to try and push their own DirectX to the forefront. Until the necessary drivers for OpenGL are adequately working with Vista, I wouldn't bother trying any OpenGL based software on a Vista platform. Pro/E, Solidworks and others are reporting performance drops of upto 80% when using Vista. Check out Tom's hardware page for more information.

Gary

Again, it was my understanding......Please don't shoot the messenger....I have not used it nor researched it, just repeating what our IT support people are saying, that's all.

I'm not "shooting the messenger", so to speak. Just pointing out that there are other variables in the equation - some of which you may or may not be aware of.

No harm, no foul. [thumbsup2]

-----------------------------------------------------------
Catia Design|Catia Design News|Catia V5 blog

I read in an article that certification of Dassault's products will continue throughout 2007.

I was just wondering if you had news on CATIA's certification. Bought a notebook recently (like most members here battling with Vista) with Vista preinstalled on it and have trouble setting up V5R16 on it.

It's just that the latest post here dates back to March and now's August.

Thanks for the fast response. I also looked on the company's website, found nothing. Waiting is the best option here...

Apparently Dassault will support Vista for 64bit platforms only, not 32-bit. And it will happen for a "yet-to-be-determined" Service Pack level of V5R18.

As I re-read my post from a moment ago I want to make a minor correction. From what I know - there are no plans for 32-bit support in the first Vista-supported V5R18 SP??? release. That doesn't necessarily mean it will never happen. Sorry if I implied that.

Hello everybody, I can just agree what was said above. I just recetly bought a Laptop with Vista pre-installed on it and I was trying to run the instalation but it failed, so we have to wait until some supported version will come out. However, any suggestion what should I do if I would like to use V5R16?

Make another partition on your hard disk with a supported OS.

Regards
Fernando

I can't see Catia catering to ONLY 64 bit Vista. There are many companies that do not wish to run 64 bit due to the fact that compatible software is a big issue. There are many softwares that do not support 64 bit that are in use in the business world.

Catia does work on vista, my buddy installed it when entering safe mode from his start up, it worked with VR15. I'm not sure how to do it but I could get the steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back