Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CATProduct Help....???

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanRyanRyan

Automotive
Jan 8, 2008
US
I am using V5R17. When working in a CATProduct, I can't seem to figure out how to work on the piece parts within the assembly. I have been going into the piece part, changing what I need and then it updates the assembly. Is there a way I can do the work in the CATProduct?

Also/Or Is there a way to project edge curves onto another surface within the assembly??

Thanks in advance.

Ryan Hill
Design Engineer
bestCADsolutions, Inc.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not sure I fully understand you, do you mean activating a part inside an assembly? Expand the part instance and double click on the part document below it, this will initiate a workbench switch, from product workbench into a part workbench (like part designer). It's all about which part or product is active.

When you have the part activated, depending on your settings in tools options, you can project edges of other parts in your assembly into the one that is active.

Ryan.... you can work on the assembly or sub-assembly, or any part within the product, all within the product window. Just look in the tree for which object has the blue (active) background (it's probably the top assembly).

To work on a part, just double-click on the part. The part will become active (blue background) and the workbench will change to part design.

You can make any part or product active by double-clicking on it.

What you doing is called "contextual design" since your working on all the parts within the context of the top assembly. This is very powerful, but can also be very dangerous if you're not careful.

You can easily copy things from one part to another, but you want to check your tools-options. Most of the time, the copies will be made with associative links (contextual links), which again can be very powerful when used correctly but create all kind of havoc if you don't know what you're doing.

If you want to work and design your parts "contextually" I strongly suggest finding an instructor to teach you all the ins and outs. The training will be worth the time & money, and the payback will be high.

Just to calrify:
In the specification tree under a product level you will find a part icon with a blue and a yellow gear, this is the instance level, below it you will find a part icon with a yellow gear only, the reference level, this is the level you need to activate by double clicking on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back