Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

CBC vs IBC 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

esce

Mechanical
Aug 20, 2002
I just designed a vessel for seismic using the IBC 2006 requirements. The customer wants the CBC 2007 used. Does anyone know what the difference in the IBC vs CBC codes are if any?

Thanks in advance.

ESCE, Inc.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

IBC = Indian Boiler Code??
CBC = Canadian Boiler Code?

It helps if you don't assume we know what you mean.

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

California has more stringent seismic requirements.

I'm not going to ask why you're using a building code for a vessel. This site allows free viewing of both the 2006 International Building Code and the 2007 California Building Code. You can also buy copies to download:

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

How about a vessel code?

<<A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend
will be sitting beside you saying ” Damn that was fun!” - Unknown>>

Even pressure vessels built to ASME Section VIII (and III) must be designed for wind and seismic loads. These loads are resisted by longitudinal stresses in the vessel shell. In some cases these may even govern the nominal thickness of the shell. The magnitude of the wind and seismic loads are not specified by ASME and are generally determined from the applicable building code or design standard. eg: ASCE 7-05 "Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures" is the basis for the current IBC wind and seismic criteria. ASCE 7-05 addresses pressure vessels (and references ASME Code) with some depth.

Well, I just learned something I had never considered before. Star for you Tom

<<A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend
will be sitting beside you saying ” Damn that was fun!” - Unknown>>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back