Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

C'Bore hole in round part

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve34208

Electrical
Feb 9, 2005
US
I am new to SW and having a very difficult time placing a 1/4 c'bore in a round part off center. The round part has a hole thru the middle used to clamp on a shaft. There is a counter bore then tapped hole off center to allow the clamping function. I know this is probably very simple, but I can't figure it out.
Thanks,
Steve

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here is the trick.
1. Insert - Reference Geometry - Plane - {On Surface}
a. and click anywhere on the cylinder OD
2. With that new plane still active, click the Hole Wizard command button.
a. type over the C'Bore depth values in the dialog, to force your hole to intersect the cylinder properly.
b. it will be easier to dimension the hole location point, if you cylinder was symetric about the part origin.

If you don't start the Hole Wizard command by pre-selecting a flat face, the location point is a 3D sketch point and can be moved around accordingly. By using the reference plane you force the start point of the hole to be on a tanget to the cylinder but you can still dimension it to be off-center.

FYI,

DesignSmith

Steve34208,

If you have a sawcut to split your collar, you can also select the flat surface created by the it. You then "flip" the entries for the counterbore diameter and hole diameter. Since, where I work, we dimension the counterbore depth from this flat anyway, the counterbore depth becomes this dimension so it can be inserted into the drawing.

Regg

Thanks Regg,
I do have a saw cut but I was trying to flip the counter bore. I didn't think of flipping the entries. I like that solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back