Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cd problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

timjr

Automotive
Nov 25, 2002
US
Hi,
I am having a problem with copying certain Pro/E part files to cd. I have an assembly, that when copied onto a cd, fails to open. I have tracked the problem down to a screw that is family tabled. I have no problems with the screw or assembly at anytime working properly until I burn the srew onto a cd. Has anyone else seen this?
Thanks,
Tim

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've come across this problem also but haven't been able to figure out a definate answer. We were using a mixed UNIX/Windows environment. I'm not sure if it had anything to do with that or not.

Ensure that all the parent parts and reference parts are included in CD. If a instance of family table is refered in assembly, then you should have your generic model on CD. If you write the exact message then it would be easy to understand the problem.

Thanks

Yogesh

The way the part is set up is as one part, with the option to open as generic, or one of many family tabled parts. This part is included in the directory. I have no problems saving the entire assembly anywhere else(other locations on my comuter, or our network). When I open the problem part after it is saved on a cd, and try to verify the instances, they all fail. If I do this when it is saved on a floppy, it works fine. I am thinking maybe it is losing something in the burning process?
Thanks,
Tim

One difference between the file that is on your harddrive or floppy and the same file burned on a CD is the Read/Write Attribute is Read-only. I do not understand why this would be an issue since all files are read into memory anyways.

There is a little try you can do. Burn your assembly to a cd-rw in r/w mode. In that way the cd is treated as a floppy so you can determine if the read-write attribute is required

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back