Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

CDEGS HIFREQ Cable Design Voltage Potential Calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.

FouNation

Electrical
Jul 20, 2023
GR
Hi, I am a new CDEGS user and I am trying to design a 3-core cable. I am using define -> cable type to enter cable properties in SESCAD. Although induced sheath currents are calculated perfectly and the results can be easily found in the output file or by using SesResultViewer , I am not sure how to "see" the results for Voltage at a single point (sheath voltage drive end and earth end or phase voltage at drive end and earth end) and voltage drop.

My questions are:
Should I use Metal to Soil - GPR of Metal - GPD with the correct reference ?
Do I have to define ground voltage - 0 volt somehow in my design ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This sounds like a question for SES support. I doubt that you will find many HIFREQ users to answer this type of question in this forum.
If the sheath is bonded at both ends, you don't normally have to worry about sheath voltage. Voltage to remote earth will be equal to the GPR. Touch voltage will be the same as any other grounded equipment.

I believe when you go to the output, I think there is a selection to plot metal properties/results OR soil values with the profiles(like step/touch voltages). The 'potential' of the sheath should be able to be selected based on the 'conductor name'... but I can't recall if you give each phase and the sheath unique names to generate the results you want to see...

Like jghrist recommends, check with the CDEGS support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back