CE Marking on Labels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhudc

Electrical
Dec 26, 2002
US
Hello people,
Do the labels on the products being shipped to the EU also have to have translated literature on them? Our labels currently read the module ratings and the Warnings, if any, in English. Do any of these have to be translated to local languages for the European market?
Thanks for your input on this.

madhudc

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear Madhudc
All documents and any labels or tags on the machine must be in the official language of the country where the machine is being installed. Wherever possible we use a pictogram that is used in Europe, RSI in the UK is a good source. Any warnings must also be explained in the manual

madhudc,
Only Safety instructions.
Label must be in standard and understandable format.
We'd supplied more than 200 units marked CE with different category (I, II, III, IV); modules, A, A1, D1, B+D and B1+D; and all our labels are in english (In stead of PS we put PMA, TS --> TMA, PMO). Our safety instructions (max 2 sheets) are in all languages but our service guides are in english with the approval of our notified body. You imagine how much translation you had to make for the service guides and how much will costs ! (about 15 languages !).
I think peoples had not to exagerate ! translate all what is needed, for example all what is intended for persons who must operate the product. For others intervention (like maintenance)companies have their qualified personal who understand english.

think it helps !

I agree with abbver98, I normally suggest that Pictograms are provided and that the pictograms are then defined in the designated country language. Installation, Maintenance and operation manuals are required to be translated Service manuals are not required to be translated.

Ratings plate information should rely on symbols as well like; V = Volts, A = Amps, ~ = Phase, Hz = Frequency. Refer to the applicable electrical standard for your type of product,it will give you required information for your Nameplate. Christopher Caserta
ccaserta@us.tuv.com
Ph:904-225-0360

ccaserta is wrong about ~ being phase
~ means AC (as opposed to DC)
Phase is another symbol (a Greek letter)

I know that the manufacturer is allowed to prepare the instruction manual in English and have the importer translate it to the language(s) of the country where the product will be used.

I do not know the rules for the labels.

Some labels (including many of those from HCS at have both English words and equivalent ISO pictograms next to each other. These are particularly good for products being designed in the U.S. (where most pictograms are not widely understood, even by technical persons) and operated on the continent of Europe (the mainland, as opposed to the UK and Ireland), where there are too many non-English languages for translation to be practical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back