Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ceiling live load

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triangled

Structural
Jun 30, 2013
US
I'm checking a bowstring truss with a ceiling framed into the lower chord. What live load at ceiling would you use and would you apply it simultaneously with roof live load? It looks uninhabitable and I see no signs of storage use.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If a rectangle 3'-6" X 2'-0" fits between any of the members, a 20 PSF Live Load needs to be applied in that area. Attic live loads are concurrent with roof live load. Use the ASCE 7 load combinations.

According to ASCE 7 attic live loads are not concurrent with roof live loads....see Table 4-1, footnotes l and m

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

If it's a bowstring truss I'm assuming it's a non-residential usage and I believe you would fall under "Storage areas above ceilings" 20 psf live load. This section is not clear if it needs to be combined with roof live load, so I would combine it similar to as noted under footnote "m" referenced by JAE. I would probably be tempted to follow the definition of storage per footnote "l" and only use 10 PSF non-concurrent if you didn't meet the size requirements. Given it is likely non-residential I don't think the code is completely clear, as it is for residential usage.

Depending on the usage, you may also need to review "Primary roof members exposed to a work floor". You may need to design for 2,000# panel point load depending on the space below.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back