Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cell Biomass quantity in MBBR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farookengg

Mechanical
Dec 7, 2016
SA
What is the normal quantity of Cell Bio Mass in the MBBR Tank, as the growth is on media I am unable to find the mass of microbes in the MBBR tank, I have to calculate the dosage of Nutrient for which I need to know the Biomass quantity. Kindly help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

bimr's answer above is correct for the question you have asked but if you won't, can't or don't do it that way, there is another option, that may give you the result you require.

If you are able to test for the nutrient being added, start testing the effluent from the reactor for this nutrient. I assume that it is currently zero or very low. Start adding about 5mg/l(i don't know what you are proposing to add so we start off with a modest amount) to the influent continuously and test the effluent everyday and keep doing this until you see that the level of the nutrient in the effluent stabilise or returns to zero . This assumes that the cell mass is using the nutrient. It it may take weeks before it gets to zero but it may also be very quick. If it does not get to zero but stabilises you can than work out what your dose needs to be. If it stabilises at zero increase the dose and repeat the procedure. This will take some time and there is a risk of wasting some nutrient but it will get ultimately give you the operational result you require.

Regards
Ashtree
"Any water can be made potable if you filter it through enough money"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back